Bungie Clarifies Fixes Brought On By New Destiny Update
Criticism prompts response from developer.
Bungie recently released a brand new update for Destiny, which, among other things, changed how exotics worked and how Raids would work in the game. This update was accompanied by some very lengthy patch notes, and ordinarily, that would be enough to avoid any sort of confusion, but in true Bungie fashion, there was miscommunication regarding the mechanics related to Exotic weapons and players were pretty angry.
Now, Bungie has gone ahead and posted another really detailed blog post outlining, clearly, the kinds of changes the update has brought, as well as the general vision for Destiny in the coming months.
“In the months to come, your quest to become more powerful will have more avenues that lead to satisfaction,” community manager for Bungie, DeeJ, wrote. “The last thing we wanted was for you to look at your favorite gun or helmet and decide that it had become obsolete. Since the reveal, we’ve read a lot of ideas for how this could have been done better. Your feedback is clear: The time you have invested in your stuff should be respected.”
To make things further clear, he posted a full list about the ‘new economy of Destiny.’
- Destiny will continue to provide new ways to evolve
- Your existing items will still be effective in any encounter
- The Dark Below will contain exclusive options to level up
- More powerful Exotics will drop, or be sold by Xûr
- More powerful Legendaries will drop, or be sold by vendors
- More powerful Raid gear will drop – and more often!
- More predictable options will upgrade beloved Exotics
- Exotic upgrades purchased from Xûr replace weaker items
- Exotic upgrade paths require much less time and material
- An upgraded Exotic is more powerful right out of the box (see the mighty Thorn below).
In addition, he also talked about how players who don’t buy the upcoming expansion, The Dark Below, would interact with the game.
“If you’re not accepting Eris’s call to war against the Hive and their dark God, you’re still welcome to browse the new wares in the Tower. If you’ve been struggling to reach Level 30, a whole new path is about to become illuminated by green flames.”
It sounds like, on the whole, Bungie is responding to criticism by giving players exactly what they want. Whether or not they renege on this, and go back to doing something stupid, however, remains to be seen.