David Cage: “I am fed up with space marines!”

Posted By | On 22nd, Mar. 2011 Under Industry News, News


In an interview with British newspaper The Guardian, Heavy Rain creator David Cage claimed that “developers are fed up” with making shooters about space marines and WWII rookie soldiers: “games always explore the same things. They’re about being powerful, being the good guys against the bad guys – that’s a very tiny part of what can be done. There are so many other stories to tell, so many other emotions to trigger – this is a fantastic new medium, we can do much more than we currently do with it.” He went on to say that “Developers are fed up – they want to talk about their families, politics, whatever – why not in a game? Why not?! There is no reason” and then went on to speak of how Heavy Rain “was about my relationship with my first son and how he changed my life – and also about how loving someone without expecting anything in return was something totally new.”

Cage’s advice to other game developers was “talk about yourself, your life, your emotions, the people around you, what you like, what you hate – this is how the industry will make a huge step forwards.”


Awesome Stuff that you might be interested in

  • sofabound00

    i agree- most shooters are about the same thing and have a story that ends predictably. but, hey, im more of a story person.

  • PilarVIRUS

    That does sound like it can be an interesting title. Anyway, he’s way beyond right. They’re always the same.

  • I’m all for the story but there’s no one trying to write something original. I’d love to be given the chance to writ e one of these games. It’d be a masterpiece; something without good guys or bad guys. Something that mimics real life where good people die without purpose and bad things happen without reason. There’ll be no “good guys” or “bad guys” just people who are good in some ways, bad in others.

    • PilarVIRUS

      That does sound interesting. But, here’s the thing, it’s going to need a huge marketing campaign. You should start writing it, then you should go to PAX or something talk to a developer about it.

    • shastyxmcnasty

      sounds to me like an advanced form of Fable…could be very interesting if you could get a project like that off the ground

    • PilarVIRUS

      Nah… I wouldn’t compare it to Fable because Fable doesn’t sound that awesome. 😀

  • shastyxmcnasty

    while I do agree with all previous statements I do still love the FPS genre… it is a medium that hasn’t really changed much in the last decade with space marines and rookies and war vets and silent protagonists. and for me this works… While I do love a good story from time to time what makes me love a game is the gameplay…the story is just filler to get form one set piece to another. What would Gears be without its amazing cover system. Also as gamers I feel we buy a game and spend 10% of our time in campaign and the remaining 90% of the time in mp. And as we all know, there is not story in online.

    I sometimes feel that people hating on the fps genre is a sad cry for people who cant enter the market..it is a very technically demanding genre that can make and break a studio and I think some people are threatened by it.

    So while I would love to see more story driven games, if it came at the cost of game play, I dont really care if a game has an amazing story.

  • tareq salah

    he is right, when i play new fps nowadays i tend to just keep walking and shooting because the story is either too complicated or too stupid for me to care. the problem is not the genres its the story of the game.

  • doub7

    I am really big into story in games & 1 thing I wish would go away is the silent protaganist. I know the theory that u r supposed 2 feel like the character but it just doesn’t work 4 me. It just makes me not care about the character. I mean Rico from Killzone is a douche but at least he HAS a personality.

  • doub7

    I find it hilarious that the same day this story drops there is a another news story about a game featuring space marines…rofl.

  • Pingback: THQ Narrow Warhammer 40K: Space Marines Release Date - GamingBolt.com: Video Game News, Reviews, Previews and Blog()

  • woodysroundup

    The fact is that if he continues to make thoughtful games with not much traditional action but lots of depth and emotion, he will continue to achieve relatively low sales numbers. If he wants Avatar style numbers of players, he will need to make a game tha appeals to that many players. Last time I looked, that meant making Call of Duty.

    He’s living in a fantasy land. I mean it’s fine to dream, but just recognise you’re dreaming.


 

Copyright © 2009-2017 GamingBolt.com. All Rights Reserved.