Release Date:October 7th, 2014
DriveClub was announced at Sony press conference on February 20th, 2013.
The game is being developed by Evolution Studios and focuses on a concept called team based racing.
There was a gameplay footage shown where the attention to detail on cars were incredible. [reference]
Matt Southern from Evolution Studios explained how they registered the trademark 9 years ago and were waiting for the PlayStation hardware to improve so that they could realize their vision.
Although the game was initially slated to be a launch title it was delayed until sometime in Q1 of 2014. Mr Yoshida has since revealed that the delay of Drive Club was due to complications with the game’s various social interaction features. He claimed that these ideas and interactions have never before been seen in gaming and thus the decision to delay the game until perfected. The game was further delayed until October 7th, 2014.
+ Quick Jump To
There’s not a lot of details known about the game but Matt Southern Studio Game Director talked about the game on the PS Blog, and revealed how they came at the idea of developing this game. [reference]
“We expanded our vehicle handling and design team so that together, we have over 50 years’ experience working on the most prestigious racing titles out there, including – WRC, Formula 1, Gran Turismo, MotorStorm, WipEout, Project Gotham Racing, GRID 2 and many more,” he said.
“We collaborated with the best car companies in the world, working with them to create the most detailed and authentic car interiors and exteriors possible. The result is staggering: it isn’t cockpit view; it is truly immersive first-person-racing.”
Matt Southern explained the concept behind the game.
“The game was all about utter car passion. It was about connecting people who are as in love with car culture as we are, and creating a universe for these impassioned racers to all play together.” [reference]
“We created web design concepts that showed how you could connect with people and access your club when you were away from the living room, and we created prototypes of the most immersive, detailed vehicle interiors and exteriors possible.”
The game was developed around the idea of being a spiritual equal to Gran Turismo and, as such, is heavily based on a realistic driving experience that makes use of real world vehicle control and physics.
Players are encouraged to take realistic driving lines rather than slinging their car around as they would in an arcade racer. With the game being split into 3 parts, tour, single event and multiplayer, the game has a variety of content that racers can tackle. Tour mode taskes drivers with becoming the best and completing assigned tasks in the designated vehicle.
Single event is a single event race, be it drifting, racing or time trials. Multiplayer is the games online multiplayer suite that will pit your personal racing skills agaisnt your friends and strangers.
The game received a DLC season pass in September 2014 that would give players access to 11 new tracks to race on, 23 new events to master and a new free car until June of 2015.
Below is the list of some of the cars present in the game.
- 2013 Alfa Romeo 4C Coupé IT
- Aston Martin One-77 Coupé UK
- 2012 Aston Martin V12 Zagato Coupé UK
- 2013 Aston Martin Vanquish Coupé UK
- 2013 Audi R8 5.2 FSI quattro Plus [Typ 42] Coupé DE
- 2012 Audi RS5 [Typ 8T] Coupé DE
- 2011 Audi TT RS [Typ 8J] Coupé DE
- 2011 BAC Mono Convertible UK
- 2014 BMW M235i [F22] Coupé DE
- 2010 BMW M3 GTS [E92] Coupé DE
- 2012 BMW M5 [F10] Sedan DE
- Gumpert Apollo Coupé DE
- 2012 Hennessey Venom GT Coupé US
- 2012 Koenigsegg Agera R Convertible SE
- 2012 Marussia B2 Coupé RU
- 2012 Maserati Granturismo MC Stradale Coupé IT
- 2011 McLaren MP4-12C Coupé UK
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz A 45 AMG [W176] Hatchback DE
- 2012 Mercedes-Benz C 63 AMG [C204] Coupé DE
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz CLA 45 AMG [C117] Sedan DE
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz SL 65 AMG [R231] Convertible DE
- 2013 Mercedes-Benz SLS AMG Black Series [C197]Coupé DE
- 2012 Pagani Huayra Coupé IT
- 2012 RUF CTR3 Clubsport Coupé DE
- RUF Rt 12 R Coupé DE
- Savage Rivale Roadyacht GTS
This wiki was last updated on 1st January, 2015.