NPD July 2012: Industry down 20%, Xbox 360 leads, Vita crashes
We have the latest NPD July 2012 figures for you and the industry has collapsed even more by dropping 20%. The Xbox 360 leads the hardware charts but has a 26% decline and ends up at 200k units for the month. The PS3 follows with 140k units with the 3DS close behind with approximate 120k units.
The Vita has crashed and has sold less than 50k units which should be very worrying for Sony as the US market probably doesn’t like the handheld in its current form.
“When you consider our preliminary estimate for other physical format sales in July such as used and rentals at $117 million, and our estimate for digital format sales including full game and add-on content downloads including microtransactions, subscriptions, mobile apps and the consumer spend on social network games at $439 million, we would estimate the total consumer spend in July to be $1.1 billion,” NPD group’s Anita Frazier said in a statement.
They are optimistic that the industry will pick up again during the holiday season and the 3DS will do well with the new revision along with New Super Mario Bros. 2.
“Based on year to date sales, and taking into account the release slate for the back five months of the year as well as the anticipated launch of the Wii U, annual sales for the new physical channel should come in around $14.5 billion for the year,” she said.
Total software sales were $230 million, down from $338 million from the same period a year ago. Nintendo and Sony haven’t released a press release yet but stay tuned for that.
Software Top 10
- NCAA Football 13 (360, PS3)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (Wii, 360, DS, PS3, 3DS, Vita, PC)
- The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, 3DS, DS, Wii)
- Just Dance 3 (Wii, 360, PS3)
- Batman Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)
- Call of Duty: Black Ops (360, PS3, DS, Wii, PC)
- Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (360, PS3, PC)
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)
- Dead Island (360, PS3, PC)