Silence: The Whispered World 2 Wiki – Everything you need to know about the game
Everything you need to know about Silence: The Whispered World 2
Silence: The Whispered World 2
PC, Mac, Xbox One, PS4
Release Date:TBA 2015
Silence: The Whispered World 2 is an upcoming adventure game and successor to The Whispered World, which launched in 2009 to fair praise and criticism.
The game is currently being developed by Daedalic Entertainment, a Germany-based company, which also worked on the “Deponia” series of games as well as the tactical turn based strategy game Blackguards. Though The Whispered World was published by Deep Silver, Daedalic Entertainment will be publishing the sequel instead.
Originally announced to be launching only on the PlayStation 4, it will also be out on PC, Mac, PS4 and Xbox One in early 2015.
Whereas The Whispered World had a very recognisable art style and game world, Silence: The Whispered World 2 takes an entirely different direction, moving into a steampunk inspired world that maintains the praised hand drawn style of animation that made its predecessor so lovely.
The Whispered World made use of the Visionaire Studio Engine that allowed developers to overlap various parallax layers to create a sort of view-box. This allowed for an entirely unique look in the game. The major graphical difference in Silence: The Whispered World 2 is that it now uses a 3D technology and method that they call “Camera Projection” to create a 3D environment that they can “project” the world’s visuals onto.
Speaking about this in the PlayStation Blog, the games director Uli Wanitschke said, “We now use 3D technology, by following a method we call ‘camera projection’.
“We place 3D objects and 3D characters in 3D environments, but then project 2D art on everything. [We] call this ‘three-dimensional artwork’ when creating all these magnificent backgrounds”
Silence: The Whispered World 2 is the first game from Daedalic Entertainment to hit the eighth generation of consoles. Daedalic’s Studio Manager Steffen Boos has said, “Silence has always been a multi-platform project. From early on, we planned to release Silence: The Whispered World 2 on consoles as well, but we wanted to make absolutely certain the controls were tuned to each platform before announcing its console status.
“We think the new generation of consoles offer a platform that is ideal for indie development, and with the new gameplay we’re introducing to the adventure genre with The Whispered World 2, adventure games now also can be a good fit to consoles”
The story of Silence: The Whispered World 2 will see the player follow Noah, a teenager who has lost his younger sister Renie. Noah sets out on a quest in a world full of dangers and hazards with the hope of being reunited with Renie.
At this time, we don’t know anything about the fundamental gameplay. We do, however, know about the abilities that a character in the game has to offer. A character by the name of Spot is a caterpillar of sorts and he comes packed with skills that will aid in gameplay. These skills are:
- Big Spot – Spot can suck in everything that is near his mouth. A given example is sucking in air, this will inflate Spot into a ball that can be thrown, but he can also act like a pillow when he’s like this, allowing Noah and/or Renie to use him as a means to safely drop of high areas and survive. He can even be used as a hot air balloon.
- 5er Spot – This skill lets Spot divide into many smaller versions of himself, enabling him to sneak around or creep through cracks.
- Flat Spot – This skill lets Spot flatten himself out and become very strong. Strong enough to even act as a bridge to help characters across gaps to inaccessible areas.
- Fire Spot – Fire Spot is engulfed in flames and becomes a moving torch that can both set fire to certain objects and bring light to the dark shadowed areas.
- Dragon Spot – Dragon Spot can inhale a number of dangerous substances, including Lava. Storing this magma in his stomach, it can be used to burn away vegetation and/or fixing broken stone objects.
- Water Spot – Water Spot can inhale, carry and spray water, making him the perfect partner for interacting with garden like environments.
- Honey Spot – When you feed Spot enough honey, he can calm in meditative tones that can calm entire colonies of Honey Ticks.
- Acid Spot – Spot can inhale and transport dangerous acids, but we’re not sure what they will be used for. A story driven assumption would be that this Acid would be used to help melt away bars…perhaps prison bars.
Note: This wiki will be updated once we have more information about the game.