Sony pushing Indie development forward at GDC
Over 25 indie titles showcased on the show floor.
Sony has explicitly stated over the past months that Indie developers are of the utmost importance to them. And Sony’s offering at GDC is a testament to that. The company has pushed Indie games to the spotlight at their Indie Arcade event with a showcase of 25 titles that will be gracing the PS4, PS3 and Vita in the near future.
Among these titles are stellar releases from the past few years, including Hotline Miami, Limbo, A virus named Tom, in addition to several new IPs, some of them exclusive to Sony’s platforms. Here’s what you can expect:
- Blacklight: Retribution – PlayStation 4
- Primal Carnage: Genesis – PlayStation 4
- Ibb & Obb – PlayStation 3
- Rain – PlayStation 3
- Sportsfriends (including Johann Sebastian Joust, BaraBariBall, Hokra and Super Pole Riders) – PlayStation 3
- Divekick – PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
- Dragon Fantasy Book II – PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
- Guacamelee! – PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
- Hotline Miami – PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
- Luftrausers – PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
- Spelunky – PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
- Thomas Was Alone – PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita
- Friend Network App – PlayStation Vita
- Limbo – PlayStation Vita
- Metrico – PlayStation Vita
- Velocity Ultra – PlayStation Vita
- A Virus Named Tom – PlayStation Mobile
- Beatdown in Treachery City – PlayStation Mobile
- Crumble – PlayStation Mobile
- Crystallon – PlayStation Mobile
- Don’t Wake the Bear – PlayStation Mobile
- Hermit Crab in Space! – PlayStation Mobile
- Oh, Deer! – PlayStation Mobile
- Rymndkapsel – PlayStation Mobile
- Ten By Eight – PlayStation Mobile
“Our goal is to continue to work with the independent developer community to provide fantastic games you can’t find anywhere else.” wrote Adam Boyes, Vice President of SCEA.
As you can see, Sony is not holding back when it comes to extending support to Indie developers, and they’ve repeatedly stated that Indie games will play a prominent role in the PS4. With titles like The Witness, Primal Carnage: Genesis and Blacklight: Retribution on horizon, it’s not hard to see why.