Grand Theft Auto 6 Needs Marketing to Create Energy Around November 19 Release, Says Take-Two CEO

"This is not... we're not selling hamburgers," said Zelnick about Grand Theft Auto 6. "We're selling this unique art form."

Take-Two Interactive CEO Strauss Zelnick had noted in the past that the development of Grand Theft Auto 6 has been on track for its planned November 19th release and that marketing plans are slated to go live this Summer. In a recent interview on CNBC’s Mad Money, via FRVR, Zelnick went into more detail, noting that, despite the anticipation behind GTA 6, the company still has to build hype around it.

Answering a question about how Take-Two Interactive can be so sure about the November 19th release happening, Zelnick said that “Well because we actually, obviously, track progress daily of everything that we do. And we obviously announced that we have marketing beats coming this Summer. And we don’t spend money on marketing until we’re pretty close to release.”

As for whether or not a release as big and highly-anticipated as Grand Theft Auto 6 actually needs much of a marketing push behind it, Zelnick noted that the company has to show fans how the upcoming game will look. He said that, while there is awareness of the game in the industry, there also has to be energy for it.

“I think there’s a difference between awareness and energy, and we need to create the energy,” he explained. “We do have the awareness, the anticipation is huge, it’s bigger than ever before, but in our business you do have to tell people what’s coming and our consumers wanna know that this is gonna be great and they wanna see what the visuals look like.”

Publishing a game as big as Grand Theft Auto 6 also presents its own challenges, said Zelnick, who noted that “the marketing has to be delicate. It has to feel like this is real. This is not… we’re not selling hamburgers. We’re selling this unique art form.”

Zelnick had spoken about the marketing plans being in place to kick off in Summer in a statement earlier this month. “Our execution throughout Fiscal 2026 has been extraordinary, and we are highly confident as we approach Fiscal 2027 – which promises to be groundbreaking for Take-Two and the entire entertainment industry – led by the November 19th release of Grand Theft Auto 6 with Rockstar’s launch marketing set to begin this Summer,” he said.

Interestingly, rumors had popped up last month about Rockstar Games and Take-Two Interactive potentially foregoing physical release for Grand Theft Auto 6 during its launch window in order to avoid any potential leaks. However, Zelnick confirmed in a statement that there are no such plans in the works. When asked about this during a recent earnings call, he simply said, “That’s not the plan.”

The November 19th release date on PS5 and Xbox Series X/S comes after Grand Theft Auto 6 faced many delays. There have also been rumors about potential Switch 2 version being tested. However, neither it, nor the inevitable PC release have been confirmed for the time being. Zelnick has also spoken about how GTA 6‘s development doesn’t make use of generative AI tools for any of its creative aspects.

Grand Theft Auto 6ps5rockstar gamesTake-Two InteractiveXbox Series SXbox Series X