Middle-Earth: Shadow of War To Feature Loot Boxes And Premium Currency
Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will feature microtransactions, developers Monolith have confirmed. However, they have also confirmed that none of the in-game content will be locked behind these microtransactions, and that all of it can simply be acquired through natural gameplay. The microtransactions will be tied to the Nemesis system. Since the Nemesis system will now also see you building up your own army of Orcs, the microtransactions will allow you to purchase more orcs from the in-game market.
Other thins like XP boosts, War chests, Loot chests, and bundle packages will all also be available from the in-game market for players to purchase. Shadow of War will feature two in-game currencies- Mirian (which can be acquired by just playing the game and doing in-game activities), and Gold, which can be purchased with real money online.
In their announcement, Monolith have made a point of making it clear that no purchases or content in the game will be locked behind Gold purchases, or microtransactions. So that’s definitely good news. How the value of Gold is balanced with respect to Mirian is something that remains to be seen, however.
You can check out the official notes from the developer below:
• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.
To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:
• Defeating Treasure Orcs
• Destroying Gear for Mirian
• Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
• Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:
• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
• Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
• Awarded for participating in community challenges.
What is Mirian and how do I earn it?
- Mirian is a form of in-game currency that players earn by playing the game. Along with Gold, Mirian can be used to purchase Loot Chests and War Chests from the Market. Mirian can be acquired by:
- Defeating Treasure Orcs
- Destroying Gear for Mirian
- Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
- Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
What is Gold and how do I earn it?
- Gold is a form of in-game currency awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased for real money through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet. Along with Mirian, Gold can be used to purchase Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts from the Market.
What can I get with Gold?
- Along with Mirian, players can use Gold to purchase Loot Chests that contain Gear for Talion (weapons and armor), War Chests that provide Orcs for your army of followers and Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
Do I have to pay for Gold?
- No, Gold is awarded in small amounts at specific milestones and for participating in community challenges. It can also be purchased through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store and by adding funds to your Steam Wallet using real money. Everything a player can buy with Gold can also be earned in the game over time for free, but Gold gives players the option to acquire these items faster. No Gold purchases are necessary to enjoy the complete game experience.
What do you mean when you say Gold can save time?
- By simply engaging with the world and playing through Middle-earth: Shadow of War, you earn items like Gear for Talion and unique Orcs for your army. These are the same items that are found in the Market within Loot Chests and War Chests. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately, cutting down some of the additional time that would have been spent winning more battles, tracking nemeses, completing quests and assaulting fortresses.
Does Gold give me an advantage in the game?
- No, Gold does not give you any advantage over other players. A player who invests enough time can progress the same amount and have access to the same content as a player who purchases Gold. Gold is not required to progress or advance in the game at all.
Are there unique items in the market purchased using Gold that you can’t get through normal play?
- No, all of the aforementioned items can be earned playing through the game. Gold merely allows you to get your hands on them immediately.
How much does Gold cost?
- Prices for Gold will be communicated at a later date.