Sony Is Beta Testing PS4 Firmware 3.00
List of new features inside.
Sony is definitely not as on the top with their firmware upgrades for their console or handheld as Microsoft or even Nintendo are. Microsoft especially release updates every month, and even first have them beta tested via their Preview program.
At least some of that, Sony seems to have appropriated for how they handle their own new firmware launches. After just how much of a massive disaster the rollout of PS4 Firmware 2.00 was, it seems like Sony is now conducting beta tests of their firmware updates before they roll them out to the general public. The flipside, for them? We can now get leaks of planned features ahead of their official reveal.
For instance, thanks to NeoGAF user crinale, we have a list of some of the planned updates PS4 Firmware 3.00 brings with it:
- “Event” menu is added that allows you to find events related to Playstation, join them and watch them.
- “Community” is added to “friend” menu that allows you to make new community or join existing ones.
- “Now Playing” is added to “friend”, “community”, “message” and profile screen that allows you to display games members are currently playing. You can request to join their games or
request to broadcast the game.
- “Message” function has been improved that it displays “now playing” and allows you to start party easily. You can add groups to your favorite list
- You can broadcast via Youtube
- You can upload short (10 sec) game clips to twitter.
So, it actually seems like Sony have taken quite a few cues from Nintendo’s Miiverse here. Which is great, Miiverse has some nice ideas up its sleeve.
We’ll keep you posted on the official launch date for PS4 Firmware 3.00.