Middle-Earth: Shadow of War will feature microtransactions, developers Monolith have confirmed. However, they have also confirmed that none of the in-game content will be locked behind these microtransactions, and that all of it can simply be acquired through natural gameplay. The microtransactions will be tied to the Nemesis system. Since the Nemesis system will now also see you building up your own army of Orcs, the microtransactions will allow you to purchase more orcs from the in-game market.
Other thins like XP boosts, War chests, Loot chests, and bundle packages will all also be available from the in-game market for players to purchase. Shadow of War will feature two in-game currencies- Mirian (which can be acquired by just playing the game and doing in-game activities), and Gold, which can be purchased with real money online.
In their announcement, Monolith have made a point of making it clear that no purchases or content in the game will be locked behind Gold purchases, or microtransactions. So that’s definitely good news. How the value of Gold is balanced with respect to Mirian is something that remains to be seen, however.
You can check out the official notes from the developer below:
• Loot Chests contain Gear (weapons and armor) of varying rarity. Equipping and upgrading these weapons and armor enhance Talion’s character abilities. Loot Chests can also contain XP Boosts that help level up Talion faster.
• War Chests provide Orc followers of varying rarity to help forge a strong army. They can also contain Training Orders to level up and customize Orc followers.
• XP Boosts are consumables that help level up Talion faster.
• Bundles package up Loot Chests, War Chests and Boosts together at a great value.
To purchase these items, players can spend Mirian or Gold throughout the game as one progresses. Mirian is a type of in-game currency that can be acquired by:
• Defeating Treasure Orcs
• Destroying Gear for Mirian
• Destroying Orc followers for Gear (which can be destroyed for Mirian)
• Finding Mirian stashes throughout the game
Gold is another form of in-game currency that can be used to get higher level Loot Chests, War Chests, Boosts and Bundles of the aforementioned content. Gold can be acquired by:
• Purchasing through the PlayStation Store, Xbox Store or by adding to your Steam Wallet using real money.
• Awarded in small amounts at specific milestones.
• Awarded for participating in community challenges.
What is Mirian and how do I earn it?
What is Gold and how do I earn it?
What can I get with Gold?
Do I have to pay for Gold?
What do you mean when you say Gold can save time?
Does Gold give me an advantage in the game?
Are there unique items in the market purchased using Gold that you can’t get through normal play?
How much does Gold cost?