NPD has released the annual sales figures for 2011 for the region of US, and as everyone must have expected, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 was the largest selling game, topping the list and beating heavyweights such as Elder Scrolls, Assassin’s Creed and Battlefield. This comes as no surprise, especially after it was announced earlier this week that Modern Warfare 3 was also the highest selling game of 2011 in UK.
It beat its direct competitor, Battlefield 3, by a fairly large margin, which came in at the 4th position. Other expected entries were The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim at 3, Assassin’s Creed: Revelations at 10, Batman: Arkham City at 7 and Gears of War 3 at 8.
Even Treyarch’s 2010 iteration of the CoD franchise, Black Ops, featured on the list, coming in at No. 6.
Just Dance 3 at 2, Madden NFL 12 at 5 and Just Dance 2 at 9 rounded off the top 10.
Total retail software sales for the year went down by 8%, grossing $9.27 billion.
Here’s the full top 10:
TOP 10 RETAIL GAMES FOR 2011
1. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (X360, PS3, PC) – Activision
2. Just Dance 3 (Wii, X360) – Ubisoft
3. The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (X360, PS3, PC) – Bethesda Softworks
4. Battlefield 3 (X360, PS3, PC) – EA
5. Madden NFL 12 (X360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2) – EA
6. Call of Duty: Black Ops (X360, PS3, Wii, DS, PC) – Activision Blizzard
7. Batman: Arkham City (X360, PS3, PC) – Warner Bros. Interactive Entertainment
8. Gears of War 3 (X360) – Microsoft
9. Just Dance 2 (Wii) – Ubisoft
10. Assassin’s Creed: Revelations (X360, PS3, PC) – Ubisoft