No Man’s Sky is a fun game, all said and done, and one that people with a certain bent of mind will definitely end up appreciating, but its PC launch has been nothing short of a disaster. In spite of Sean Murray of Hello Games’ claims that less than 1% of players reported issues, the fact remains that No Man’s Sky launched with a lot of problems.
Credit to Hello Games, a lot of them have been fixed, or will be fixed in the coming few patches. Some of these, however, remain, and there appears to be a lot of confusion about them. If you are running into any of these problems, then this guide should be able to help you.
First, the system specs:
- OS: Windows 7/8.1/10 (64-bit versions)
- Processor: Intel Core i3
- Memory: 8 GB RAM
- Graphics: nVidia GTX 480, AMD Radeon 7870
- Storage: 10 GB available space
Please be advised that the following methods are to be used at the sole discretion of the system owner. GamingBolt or its staff members take no responsibility for problems that may arise or issues that may occur from trying the below. Always remember that official support is always the best support.
LAUNCH ERROR (MSVCR100.dll)
- Download and install Microsoft Visual C++ 2010. Restart your computer, and launch the game again. It should start without any issues.
FPS DROPS/TEXTURE FLICKERING
- If you are playing the game via Steam, right click on No Man’s Sky in your library, and select Properties. Disable Steam Overlay under the General section.
- Go to ‘C:\Program Files(x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\No Man’s Sky\Binaries\SETTINGS’. Open ‘TKGRAPHICSSETTINGS.MXML’ in a text editor (such as Notepad), and find the ‘GSync’ option. Change it to ‘False’, and save and exit. Relaunch the game.
BLACK SCREEN OF DEATH
- Go to your DPU Management client, and set NMS.exe to High Performance.
- If there is more than one GPU, select the integrated or the low power one.
UNABLE TO INITIALIZE OPENGL
Follow the instructions in the video below, and you should be good to go!
Note: Given that the wide range of PC hardware out there, the fixes mentioned here may or may not work for you. But it’s worth giving them a shot since these have worked for players who own the PC version of No Man’s Sky.