Nintendo’s hardware may have hit some hard times, especially on the home console front, but their ability to shift software remains unparalleled. How else do you explain the sales of Mario Kart 8, the excellent Wii U exclusive entry in the long running kart racing franchise, which has managed to sell a staggering 8 million units, on a console that has sold less than 14 million? That’s an almost 60% attach rate!
Over on the Nintendo 3DS front, Pokemon remains an extremely strong performer, its sales buoyed no doubt by the success of Pokemon GO. Pokemon X/Y stand at 15.64 million units worldwide, meaning the games have now sold more than Pokemon Black/White, conclusively putting the argument of declining Pokemon franchise sales to rest (as if Pokemon Diamond/Pearl‘s sales, which are far more than Ruby/Sapphire, weren’t enough for that). Pokemon OmegaRuby/AlphaSappire, which have sold 13.18 million units, are also well over the sales for Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, the previous Pokemon remakes, which just gets the point across even more.
You can check out the full list of updated game sales for Nintendo 3DS and Wii U software below, courtesy of Nintendo themselves. Doubtless, this is the kind of software performance Nintendo is hoping for on the upcoming Switch as well.
- Mario Kart 8 – 8.00 million pcs.
- New Super Mario Bros. U – 5.45 million pcs.
- Super Mario 3D World – 5.19 million pcs.
- Nintendo Land – 5.13 million pcs.
- Super Smash Bros. for Wii U – 4.99 million pcs.
- Splatoon – 4.57 million pcs.
- Super Mario Maker – 3.73 million pcs.
- New Super Luigi U – 2.74 million pcs.
- The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker HD – 1.98 million pcs.
- Mario Party 10 – 1.94 million pcs.
- Pokémon X & Pokémon Y – 15.64 million pcs.
- Mario Kart 7 – 13.94 million pcs.
- Pokémon Omega Ruby & Pokémon Alpha Sapphire – 13.18 million pcs.
- Super Mario 3D Land – 10.98 million pcs.
- New Super Mario Bros. 2 – 10.60 million pcs.
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf – 10.34 million pcs.
- Super Smash Bros. – 8.35 million pcs.
- Tomodachi Life – 5.30 million pcs.
- Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon – 5.03 million pcs.
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D – 4.52 million pcs.