According to a job listing in Gamasutra, Santa Monica is working on a new IP and requires a senior level designer.
The listing says:
The Sony Santa Monica Studio is hiring for an unannounced new IP!
We are an open and creative environment that strives to make the best games in the industry. Join us as we embark on our next project!
Overall, the position of Sr. Level Designer is expected to partner with the organization to:
- Design and implement gameplay, taking direction from Level Lead and Game Director as needed on any the following: level design from concept to implementation to shippable completion, entity scripting and functionality, AI layout and all things gameplay-related. As needed, act as liaison between Lead and Junior Designers, in addition to driving or participating in any needed communication with other disciplines.
- Work within the set standard for all level asset creation within the production path as it relates to design, art and otherwise. Must comprehend a working knowledge of the game production pipeline in order to communicate effectively with other team members. Working knowledge of design systems in order to build levels in 3D space, place enemies, fully understand the relationship between gameplay elements within the level and the overall game and all the ways the player can respond to each gameplay element.
- Actively participate in and/or lead required production related meetings as needed. Attend and/or lead design-specific discussions concerning design reviews and design issues. Collaborate with Design Director, Leads and Design Manager during the product development cycle about creative and/or production related topics.
- Contribute, as needed, in all educational meetings for in-house staff on new technical issues and tools dealing with all design aspects – level building, entities, cameras, etc.
- Communicate thoroughly to insure good working relationships with the other Designers, Design Director, Game Director, Design Manager, Art Director, Lead Artist, Lead Programmer, Lead Animator, etc. Drive and follow the progress of owned areas of the game.