If you’re hopelessly addicted to Spelunky 2 and can’t stop diving deep into its procedurally generated depths (and let’s face it, chances are you very well may be), there’s good news for you. Developer Derek Yu has confirmed that with its newest update, Spelunky 2 has added cross-platform multiplayer.
Players can now play online with friends or randoms in Adventure or Arena Mode across PlayStation, Xbox, Nintendo Switch, and PC. Yu says that with this update, all of Spelunky 2’s major multiplayer goals have been met- though the developer will continue to look at feedback from players to make necessary updates and changes.
That said, you shouldn’t expect any new single player content for now, with the focus being squarely on the game’s multiplayer experience. “Our focus will continue to be on multiplayer and online,” Yu writes. “That’s a personal preference for me as a creator, to try and preserve the single player experience as much as possible after release. Of course, fixing bugs and any game-breaking problems is still on the table (although “game-breaking” is open to interpretation haha).”
You can also check out the patch notes for update 1.26 below.
Spelunky 2 is available on PS5, PS4, Xbox Series X/S, Xbox One, Nintendo Switch, and PC.
- Added missing developers and QA to credits
- Network synchronization improvements
- Schrödinger’s ushabti when playing Daily Challenge
- Server-side latency improvements for low-latency sessions
- Steam/XB1/XBX/Switch players can now cross-play with PS4/PS5 players
- Fixed abrupt rollbacks when a player disconnects from the game
- Fixed input replayed on a client’s new game after a host leaves the game
- Fixed multiple desyncs in Arena Mode that led to playing different arenas
- Fixed multiple crashes and a deadlock that could happen when playing online
- Fixed multiple desyncs in Volcana that caused different world generation
- Addressed clock-drifting due to heterogeneous hardware performance in loading screens through bound deterministic clock sync
- Fixed multiple issues that happened when completing the game when playing online
- Fixed constellations