Famitsu has released its latest weekly data for hardware and physical software sales in Japan, and one notable new major release figures into the top 10. While Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe has held on to the top spot, which is where it debuted last week, with over 62,000 units sold, Koei Tecmo’s Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty takes the No. 2 spot, with its PS5 version (over 30,000 units sold) coming in at No. 2 and its PS4 version (over 17,000 units sold) slotting in at No. 3, for collective sales of over 47,000 units.
In spite of the high ranking in the charts, however, the game’s debut is a disappointing one, especially when compared to Team Ninja’s past two Soulslike action RPGs, Nioh (which sold nearly 90,000 units upon its debut) and Nioh 2 (which sold nearly 92,000 units on debut). Given the fact that Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty is a cross-gen and multiplatform release, as opposed to the Nioh games, the gap in sales becomes even more pronounced.
Meanwhile, Metroid Prime Remastered, which saw a digital launch last month, got its physical release in Japan last week, and entered the charts at No. 10, selling nearly 8,000 units. Rune Factory 3 Special has also debuted in the charts, coming in at No. 5 with over 16,000 units sold.
On the hardware front, the PS5 has once again outsold the Nintendo Switch, with the two consoles selling over 78,000 units and over 66,000 units respectively. The PS5’s lifetime sales in Japan have now crossed 3 million units, and the console is currently outpacing the sales of PS4 and PS3 in the region.
You can check out the full hardware and physical software sales charts for the week ending March 2 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [NSW] Kirby’s Return to Dream Land Deluxe – 62,581 (251,612)
- [PS5] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty – 30,132 (New)
- [NSW] Pokemon Scarlet and Violet – 24,592 (4,908,398)
- [PS4] Wo Long: Fallen Dynasty – 17,699 (New)
- [NSW] Rune Factory 3 Special – 16,627 (New)
- [NSW] Splatoon 3 – 14,766 (3,918,766)
- [NSW] Octopath Traveler 2 – 14,085 (68,080)
- [PS5] Hogwarts Legacy – 13,449 (139,535)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10,295 (5,183,660)
- [NSW] Metroid Prime Remastered – 7,960 (New)
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales):
- PS5 – 78,412 (91,729)
- Nintendo Switch – 66,525 (61,384)
- Xbox Series X/S – 848 (727)
Share Your Thoughts Below (Always follow our comments policy!)