NPD January 2013 chart: Vita and Wii U bomb spectacularly
Xbox 360 on top again.
he Vita wasn’t doing all that well in the US, and people were skeptical of the Wii U as well, but it looks like both the consoles have done poorly in last month’s NPD sales.
The Xbox 360 has sold 280k units and the Wii U has done 55k. For a new console this is utterly ridiculous. We don’t have the PS3 numbers but it should be 30% behind the Xbox 360 ones, as that’s usually the case since last year or so.
But that’s still up for argument as we try to find the proper numbers. The Vita has sold 35k and it’s something that is clearly very few people want to buy now in the US.
Ni No Kuni and DmC did well according to NPD’s Neil Callagham: “While the number of new SKUs was relatively consistent for January 2013 compared to January 2012, performance of new SKUs this year versus last was six times as high, lifted by the success of titles like DMC: Devil May Cry and Ni No Kuni: Wrath of the White Witch.”
As for the software charts, Black Ops 2 has topped, followed by Far Cry 3.
Top ten best-selling software, US retail, January 2013
- Call of Duty: Black Ops 2 (PC, PS3, Wii U, Xbox 360)
- Far Cry 3 (PC, PS3, Xbox 360)
- Just Dance 4 (PS3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)
- NBA 2K13 (PC, PS3, PSP, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)
- Madden NFL 13 (PS3, Vita, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)
- DMC: Devil May Cry (PS3, Xbox 360)
- Halo 4 (Xbox 360)
- Assassin’s Creed 3 (PC, PS3, Wii U, Xbox 360)
- Skylanders Giants (3DS, PS3, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)
- FIFA Soccer 13 (3DS, PS3, Vita, Wii, Wii U, Xbox 360)