A rather uneventful week for software and hardware sales in Japan.
The weekly charts for video game software and hardware sales in Japan are out, courtesy of Famitsu, and Animal Crossing: New Horizons continues to rule the roost on the software side of things. With over 105,000 copies sold in Japan across last week, the Switch exclusive is still going strong, which is hardly even surprising at this point.
Meanwhile, Ghost of Tsushima, which has been performing excellently for Sony in Japan (and wordwide, really), has dropped down to third place, selling nearly 15,000 copies last week. Other games in the top 10 are rather familiar faces, including the likes of Ring Fit Adventure, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Paper Mario: The Origami King, and Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, among others.
Meanwhile, on the hardware side of things, the Switch was once again the highest selling console, which is also not really surprising anymore. It sold over 148,000 units last week, which is a ridiculous number, but is actually down from last week’s sales of over 173,000 units.
You can check out the full software and hardware sales charts from Japan for the week ending August 16 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
01. [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 105.983 / 5.551.198
02. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 26.320 / 1.335.744
03. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 25.245 / 322.200
04. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 25.032 / 3.105.860
05. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King – 20.978 / 222.575
06. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 – 16.444 / 190.925
07. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima – 14.953 / 345.317
08. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 12.673 / 3.796.608
09. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 12.603 / 3.703.045
10. [PS4] Mobile Suit Gundam Extreme Vs. MaxiBoost On – 10.065 / 151.390
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales):
Nintendo Switch- 148,699 (173,338)
PS4- 3,301 (5,222)
3DS- 1,173 (834)
Xbox One- 47 (47)