Well, let’s hope this one doesn’t get cancelled.
Respawn Entertainment and EA are gearing up for the release of Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order in two weeks’ time, but EA’s got more Star Wars games up its sleeves beyond that. During their recent quarterly investors call, EA CEO Andrew Wilson confirmed that one more Star Wars game will be out before the end of financial year 2022.
After he vaguely said that EA will “get the benefit of the ongoing plans around the continued development and provision of great content experiences for Star Wars fans for many years to come”, Wilson was then asked directly if there is more Star Wars content coming up from EA beyond Fallen Order, to which he said yes- but stopped short of going into details.
“There’s some other Disney stuff that might drop into – Star Wars stuff that might drop into ’22 or maybe even earlier,” said Wilson (via Seeking Alpha), “but with more to come on that. We’re still highly engaged around the Disney license.”
We can make a pretty good guess about what this game is going to be. Earlier this year, reports emerged that the open world Star Wars title EA Vancouver had been working on had been cancelled, and that it had been replaced internally by a new, more small-scale project. Those reports claimed that the game was scheduled for a lat 2020 launch, but it’s possible that EA delayed its launch, not only to allow for more development time, but also to launch the game on next-gen systems. That is, after all, what they’re doing with Battlefield 6 as well. Something we can be absolutely sure of, though, is that it’s definitely not going to be Battlefront 3.
In the here and now, Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order is out on November 15 for the PS4, Xbox One, and PC, and EA expects it to do very well, as far as sales figures are concerned.