Season 27 of Diablo 3, Light’s Calling, is available across all platforms. It introduces Angelic Crucibles, a new consumable that allows for Sanctifying any equippable Legendary items. The item is then reforged to Ancient-level and gains one of three new powers depending on one’s class. Both Angelic Crucibles and Sanctified Legendaries are only available in seasonal play.
Only one Sanctified item can be equipped, though players can store multiple. Level 70 items are the only ones that can be Sanctified (with crafted items being a no-no). Since Patch 2.7.4’s PTR, Blizzard has doubled the drop rates of Angelic Crucibles, so there should be more chances for sanctifying.
Some new powers include the Demon Hunter’s Strafe now casting the last non-channeled Hatred spending ability cast, and the Necromancer’s Golem storing up to 30 corpses, which are used for corpse-spending abilities, and much more. This is in addition to various item and balance changes. Also, good news for new and returning players: Adventure Mode is unlocked on all accounts by default, so you no longer need to play the Campaign to access it.
Check out some of the patch notes below and the full patch notes here.
Season 27 introduces a new type of consumable item called Angelic Crucibles. Once uncovered by Nephalem, these heavenly artifacts can be used to Sanctify any equippable Legendary item. Sanctifying an item reforges it to have perfect Ancient-level stats on all affixes while also preserving the item’s Legendary Power. In addition, this process adds one of three new powers unique to each class.
Season Theme Details:
Angelic Crucibles and Sanctified items can only be acquired in Seasonal play and will not transfer to your non-seasonal character when the season ends.
- Angelic Crucibles can drop anywhere in Sanctuary at level 70.
- Players can obtain as many Sanctified items as they would like, however, only one Sanctified item can be equipped at a time.
- Sanctified items can be Sanctified again using another Angelic Crucible.
- No stats are preserved when Sanctifying an item.
- Only level 70 equippable items can be Sanctified—crafted items cannot be Sanctified.
- Followers cannot equip Sanctified items.
- The drop rate of Angelic Crucibles has been doubled.
Developer’s Note: We heard your feedback regarding the Angelic Crucible drop rate. . . then we doubled it.
New Class-Specific Sanctified Powers
- Whirlwind pulls in and holds all enemies within 25 yards.
- Hammer of the Ancients hits in all directions around the Barbarian. Every tenth cast of Hammer of the Ancients unleashes a powerful shockwave.
- The shockwave now deals 10x damage.
- Hitting enemies generates stacks of Tempest Rhythm. Activating Wrath of the Berserker consumes 50 stacks of Tempest Rhythm and startles enemies within 16 yards, causing them to take 2% increased damage per stack for 20 seconds. Max 50 stacks.
- Blessed Hammer now crackles with energy, damaging enemies within 15 yards of its path. All runes but Dominion now throw the hammer in a direct path in front of the Crusader.
- Fixed a bug that caused Blessed Hammer to stop when hitting allies.
- Every two seconds, call down Fist of the Heavens on a random nearby enemy. After casting Steed Charge, this effect occurs more rapidly for five seconds.
- Updated the visual effects of the Fist of the Heavens Sanctified power to differentiate it from Fist of the Heavens cast by players.
- After casting Falling Sword, you descend from the sky with two Archangels that can cast Consecration and Condemn.
- Updated the Archangels abilities to not benefit from bonuses and removed the Heaven’s Fury skill.
- Archangels no longer take damage.
- Removed the cooldown to spawn Archangels when casting Falling Sword. A maximum of two Archangels can be present at a time.
- The damage done by Archangels has been reduced.
- The Archangels will no longer cast Condemn and Consecration immediately upon being summoned.
- The Archangels damage has been reduced 33% of its previous value.
- Strafe now casts the last non-channeled Hatred spending ability cast.
- Fixed a bug that sometimes caused the Strafe sanctified power to stop casting the Hatred spending ability.
- Fixed a bug that caused the Multishot visual effects to fire in the wrong direction.
- Casting Vengeance unleashes a barrage of rockets that deal damage equal to a percentage of the maximum life enemies possess. The number of rockets fired increases over 30 seconds. Elites and Bosses receive less damage per rocket.
- Fixed a bug in the tooltip to correctly state that damage is equal to a percentage of maximum life, not current life.
- Firing Cluster Arrow no longer drops explosive ordinance. Instead, it concentrates its explosive force into piercing rays of light.
- Updated the Cluster Arrow tooltip to clarify the power and potential interactions with other skills.
- Adjusted the animation to feel more fluid.
- Updated the Cluster Arrow visual effects and sounds.
- Fixed a bug that prevented Cluster Arrow from proccing Restraint and Thrill of the Hunt.
- Fixed a bug where Cluster Arrow didn’t properly cost 40 Hatred.
- Casting Wave of Light now summons a bell at the target location that deals damage when any player attacks the bell. Up to five bells can be active at one time.
- The Shattering Light rune now respects which way you’re facing when you strike the bell, and your bells can no longer proc your own bells.
- Updated the tooltip to reflect that other players can attack summoned bells.
- Added sounds to the Wave of Light Sanctified power.
- Bells no longer count as kills to other players.
- Bells now despawn if not destroyed within 10 seconds.
- All Way of the Hundred Fists combo punches use the second stage combo punch. Consecutive hits from Way of the Hundred Fists increases its damage by 2%. Max 350 stacks.
- The target of your Seven-Sided Strike is barraged with spiritual punches for 15 seconds. This can only affect one enemy at a time.
- Your Golem now picks up corpses within 20 yards. Each corpse it stores allows you to cast any corpse spending ability with the max number of corpses consumed per cast. Up to 30 corpses can be stored.
- Updated the tooltip to clarify which Corpse skills are impacted by the Sanctified power.
- Enemies within 50 yards are constantly assaulted by the Army of the Dead – Unconventional Warfare while this item is equipped.
- Fixed a bug that caused an unintended interaction with Fate’s Vow and the Army of the Dead Sanctified power.
- Hitting enemies with Death Nova five consecutive times adds a spirit that afflicts an enemy every fifth cast of Death Nova. Up to three spirits can be sent at a time.
- Enemies affected by Locust Swarm are also Haunted. When you cast Piranhas, all Haunted enemies within 60 yards are pulled into the pool. A lesser enemy stunned by Bogadile is instantly killed. Elites and Bosses stunned by Bogadile take massive damage.
- Added a visual effect to indicate the area where monsters are pulled in by Piranhas.
- Horrify becomes an aura that causes enemies to receive 100% more damage and deal 15% less damage in addition to its other effects.
- You summon two Gargantuans and three Zombie Dogs periodically. Gargantuans gain the effect of the Restless Giant rune. Zombie Dogs gain the effect of all runes. Enemies hit by Sacrifice are Immolated, causing them to take 100% more damage from your Pets.
- Your Storm Armor charges over 30 seconds. Casting Storm Armor at full charge releases a powerful thunderbolt, instantly killing a random enemy within 30 yards. Bosses and Elites are not killed but take significant damage.
- Arcane Orb now periodically spawns up to four orbiting charges that will generate an additional orb when cast. All charges from the Arcane Orbit rune now detonate at the same time.
- Magic Missile fires 10 missiles and gains the effect of the Seeker rune.
Reduced the number of Magic Missiles from 20 to 10.
Developer’s Note: With the Lords of Hell Season, we explored what Nephalem would do if they possessed the powers of Hell. This season we invite players to witness what Nephalem can accomplish with the powers of Heaven. Our goal with the 21 unique class-powers was to introduce changes to skills that can redefine the way you play a build or set. We’re excited to see how players will harness the powers of Heaven in Season 27.
- Adventure Mode is now unlocked for all accounts by default. Players are no longer required to complete the Campaign to access Adventure mode.
- Default difficulty selection has been updated to be consistent for all players and platforms. All players now have access to Normal-Torment 6 difficulties by default, and upon reaching level 70 with a character, players gain access to Torment 7–Torment 16.
- Uber Boss Realms now automatically close 60 seconds after the Uber Bosses have been defeated.
- Additional portals to the same Uber Boss Realm can now be opened in a single game session.
- The Experience rewarded upon completion of an Echoing Nightmare has been reduced by 83%.
Developer’s Note: With Echoing Nightmares transitioning from a Seasonal theme to a permanent feature moving forward, we felt it was necessary to dial back the Experience rewards to avoid players feeling obligated to maximize their time spent inside the activity. Our vision for Echoing Nightmares is to be a fun bonus activity, like the Vault, that serves as a good source of loot and Augment materials. We’ve also made several changes to Adventure mode and difficulty unlocks—these will align the Diablo III experience across all platforms for new players and should make it easier to jump into your preferred activity. Lastly, we improved the Uber Boss flow so that players and groups can kill multiple rounds of bosses without having to remake games.