There were some- me included- who had a genuine hope that the Xbox One might actually do well in Japan, that this console would reverse the fate of the console line in the country that has never once been interested in it.
However, all recent indications as the system has neared its launch have pointed to just the opposite happening. And now, a major Japanese retailer, Tautaya, has published its software sales results for the last week in Japan (the week that Xbox One launched there), and…
Well, it’s not pleasant, as Xbox One software seems to have been a total bust. Not a single Xbox One game cracked the top 20. Not a single one.
Here’s the full list, if you were curious:
- Dragon Quest X – 3DS
- Youkai Watch 2: Honke – 3DS
- Toukiden: Kiwami – PS Vita
- Youkai Watch 2: Ganso – 3DS
- Samurai Warriors 4 – PS4
- Persona 4 Arena: The Ultimax – PS3
- Toukiden: Kiwami – PSP
- Persona 4 Arena: The Ultimax – Limited Edition – PS3
- Diablo III: Reaper of Souls – PS3
- Mario Kart 8 – Wii U
- Super Robot Wars OG Saga Masou Kishin F – PS3
- Yoshi’s New Island – 3DS
- The Last of Us Remastered – PS4
- Youkai Watch – 3DS
- Castlevania: Lords of Shadows 2 – PS3
- Diablo III: Ultimate Evil Edition – PS4
- The Amazing Spiderman 2 – PS4
- Ultra Dimension Action Neptunia U – PS Vita
- Medabots 8: Kabuto – 3DS
- Medabots 8: Kuwagata – 3DS
Of Xbox One games, we know that Dead Rising 3 did the best, followed by Forza Motorsport 5.
Okay, now for some disclaimers: this may be a major Japanese retailer, but it is still only one retailer. This is not indicative of total software sales for the country at all, and there is a possibility that the console and its games actually did fairly well overall. We can’t know until we have the Media Create and Famitsu sales numbers, which we will this Wednesday. Stay tuned.