‘The quality of the game was more important than remaking certain scenes.’
Ten years ago, Square Enix announced an ambitious action RPG spin off entry into the Final Fantasy series. It was called Final Fantasy Versus 13, and everything about it looked incredible- dark, brooding, with exciting gameplay unlike anything the series had known till then.
The project had a troubled life, until finally, in an attempt to revive it and to rebrand it from the toxic Final Fantasy 13 brand, it was renamed Final Fantasy 15– and in the transition from being Versus 13 to 15, it gained a new identity of its own, and in turn lost a lot of what Versus had been.
We have seen a lot of Final Fantasy 15, and there have been some discussions on how much of Versus made it into the game- but there will not be any longer. Speaking to JPGames (translated by NeoGAF), Final Fantasy 15 director Hajime Tabata said, “of course, we wanted to keep as much stuff as possible from the Versus 13 project, but we thought the quality of the game was more important than remaking certain scenes.”
Speaking about whether Square would discuss Versus 13 any more, he also said, “We will talk about Versus 13 in the future if we think it would benefit the fans or us, but there are currently no plans to keep releasing information about this project.”
Final Fantasy 15 is due out on Xbox One and PlayStation 4 on November 29.