Alongside its new trailer and details about the key figures in development, Final Fantasy 16 has also gotten a big update to its website, revealing a lot of new information about its setting and characters.
Final Fantasy 16 is set in the land of Valisthea. Described as ‘studded’ with Mothercrystals, the land is blessed with aether. The aether from the Mothercrystals has been used to conjure magicks for generations, allowing for a great level of comfort and prosperity. These Mothercrystals, in turn, have had great powers grow up around them.
Valisthea is divided into a number of realms, each with their own culture, politics, and outlooks:
- The Grand Duchy of Rosaria: Originally a small group of independent provinces in western Valisthea, the Grand Duchy of Rosaria was founded from the idea of strength in unity. The duchy is now threatened by the Blight. Rosaria’s aether comes from the Drake’s Breath Mothercrystal on a volcanic island off the coast. The Dominant of the Phoenix is the Archduke of the duchy.
- The Holy Empire of Sanbreque: The largest theocratic force in Valisthia, the Holy Empire of Sanbreque gets its aether from the Drake’s Head Mothercrystal around which its capital city is built. Its Dominant’s Eikon is shrouded in mystery, but acts as the empire’s champion.
- The Kingdom of Woloed: The eastern half of Valisthia is the dominion of the Kingdom of Waloed. Often fighting orcs and other beastmen, the Dominant, whose Eikon is unknown, has successfully maintained relative peace. The kingdom’s aether comes from the Drake’s Spine Mothercrystal.
- The Dhalmekian Republic: The Dhalmekian Republic, a group of five states, draws its aether from the Drake’s Fang Mothercrystal. Its Dominant has Titan—the Eikon of Earth—as its Eikon, and acts as a special advisor to its elected parliament.
- The Iron Kingdom: The Iron Kingdom is a small group of islands on the western half of Valisthea’s twin realms. The Crystalline Orthodox—an extreme faith that worships crystals—is the leading power in the Iron Kingdoms. Their aether is drawn from the Drake’s Breath Mothercrystal. Their faith considers Dominants to be unholy abominations, and any Dominant found in the kingdom is executed.
- The Crytstalline Dominion: Sitting at the heart of Valisthea, the Crystalline Dominion gets its aether from the tallest Mothercrystal—the Drake’s Tail. The dominion is fully autonomous after suffering from many wars throughout its history where various groups have tried to claim the Mothercrystal for themselves. The Crystalline Dominion has no Dominant.
The role the Eikons play in the main game’s setting is as of yet unclear, but the website describes them as being ‘powerful and deadly creatures’. Eikons reside inside a single person blessed with the ability to call on their power. These people are called Dominants, and are treated as royalty, admired in some places but feared in others. People are born as Dominants, and can’t choose to stop being Dominants.
Here are some details about Final Fantasy 16‘s characters:
- Clive Rosfield: The firstborn son of the Archduke of Rosaria, Clive was expected to inherit the Phoenix Eikon. As luck would have it, however, his younger brother Joshua became the Dominant instead. Trying to find his own way in life, Clive dedicated himself to mastering the blade, attaining victory in the ducal tournament at the age of 15. He is tasked with guarding the Phoenix as the First Shield of Rosaria, and in return is able to wield part of the Phoenix’s fire. Tragedy befalls Clive, however, at the hands of Ifrit, setting him on the path for vengeance.
- Joshua Rosfield: Clive’s younger brother Joshua awoke as the Dominant of the Pheonix soon after his birth. Despite being a member of the nobility, Joshua treats all of the duchy’s subjects with kindness and affection. Joshua admires Clive, and laments his fate as the Dominant of the Phoenix. Joshua is swept up in tragic events alongside Clive.
- Jill Warrick: Jill was taken from her homeland in the fallen Northern Territories at a young age to become a ward of Rosaria, securing peace between the two nations. Jill was raised alongside Clive and Joshua, and at 12 years of age, is as much a part of the Rosfield household as the brothers, earning their trust as a confidant.
- Hugo Kupka: Once a nameless foot soldier in the Republican Army, Hugo awoke as the Dominant of the Titan, pushing him into Dhalmekian politics as the permanent economic adviser. Hugo managed to establish his influence in politics to amass a personal fortune.
- Benedikta Harman: The Dominant of Garuda, Benedikta Harman has a talent for swordplay and subterfuge, and is in command of Waloed’s intelligence unit. She crosses paths with Clive on her search for the Eikon of Fire.
You can check out more details about the world of Final Fantasy 16 and its myriad characters, on the official website.