Gears of War 4 Gets Tons Of New Information at PAX East
Loads of new information, mostly about the multiplayer mode.
Gears of War 4 is due to launch later this year, but the hype cycle for the title is already on in full swing. At PAX East, The Coalition Studio Head Rod Fergusson and his team held a panel dedicated to Gears 4, in which they shared a lot of information on the game’s multiplayer mode, upcoming merchandising, and more.
All this information comes to us courtesy of DualShockers, who very kindly transcribed most of the information that was shared during the session. It sounds like, on the whole, The Coalition is dedicated to developing the ultimate Gears of War multiplayer experience- of course, what implication that may have for the single player modes remains yet to be seen. Gears of War 4 launches this October exclusively on the Xbox One.
- Gears of War 4 will not be like the more experimental Judgement, widely considered to be the worst game in the series. Instead, with this title, the aim is to be as true to the spirit of Gears as is possible.
- A lot of the new weapons in the game are explained in the game’s lore as the world having been at peace for a while, leading to the logical conclusion of a lot of the tools used during rebuilding being turned into weapons. The dropshot, for instance, is essentially a mining tool. The team apparently had fun coming up with new weapons, unrestricted by any requirement to have them feel military.
- Unlike in the beta, the final game will have a variety of playlists for the online mode, separated into ranked and unranked.
- The new spectator mode is designed for casters. It has a lot of different new cameras, and lets you plug in a keyboard to use shortcuts to jump directly to any player.
- The game will have 10 multiplayer maps at launch, and more will be released as free DLC over time.