The PS4 sees a sales boost thanks to the new Monster Hunter expansion.
Famitsu has released its weekly data for video game software and hardware sales in Japan for the week ending September 8, and to no one’s surprise, Monster Hunter rules the roost. Monster Hunter World’s big new expansion, Iceborne, debuted in the charts, and its excellent critical reception has translated to excellent sales as well. The Master Edition (which includes both, the base game and the expansion) is on top of the charts, with over 206,000 units sold, while the Collector’s Package for Iceborne takes the second spot with over 44,000 units sold. This means Iceborne has collectively sold over 250,000 units on its Japanese debut.
NBA 2K20 is another new debutant in the charts, charting at No. 4 with over 13,000 units sold. The rest of the top 10 is dominated by the games we’ve come to expect to see up here, with the likes of Super Mario Maker 2, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate, Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, Minecraft, and more.
On the hardware front, things are static, but still pretty interesting. The Switch was once again the highest selling console. Last week, it saw a whopping 300 per cent increase in sales, thanks to its updated model’s release. This week, it’s dropped slightly, but still maintained very impressive figures, with over 77,000 units sold. The PS4 saw a boost in sales, thanks to Iceborne’s release, selling nearly 34,000 units this week, as opposed to last week’s nearly 11k units.
You can check out the full hardware and software charts below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales)
01. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World – Iceborne Master Edition – 206.156 / NEW
02. [PS4] Monster Hunter: World – Iceborne Collector’s Package – 44.160 / NEW
03. [NSW] Super Mario Maker 2 – 18.296 / 600.297
04. [PS4] NBA 2K20 – 13.461 / NEW
05. [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 10.611 / 3.243.816
06. [NSW] Astral Chain – 9.129 / 41.365
07. [NSW] Fishing Spirits: Nintendo Switch Version – 9.018 / 153.154
08. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 8.850 / 244.455
09. [NSW] Minecraft – 8.221 / 915.471
10. [NSW] Fire Emblem: Three Houses – 6.255 / 235.352
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales)
Nintendo Switch – 77.392 (90.553)
PS4 – 33.728 (10.924)
Xbox One – 65 (57)
3DS – 1.518 (1.934)
PS Vita – 34 (50)