Hello Games has released a new update for No Man’s Sky called Desolation. It introduces Derelict Freighters as a new space encounter for players, letting them explore and loot them for salvage and other rewards. Each derelict is procedurally generated with different styles for each star system but intriguing horrors also await, as the trailer below showcases.
Along with fighting off drones and turrets, players will also come across a “new variety of biological horror”. You’ll also find out what happened to the crew aboard the derelict and obtain more lore from the captain’s log. If you’re keen on hunting derelicts, then visit the Scrap Dealer on the Space Station to purchase an Emergency Broadcast Receiver (with prices resetting each day).
Of course, there’s a lot more. You can use the Upgrade Station on the freighter bridge to recolor your freighters; manage freighter inventory with new tabs in the freighter base’s Storage Containers; and even build teleporters in freighter bases. The update is currently live for Xbox One, PS4 and PC. Check out the full patch notes here for more details.
2.6 Patch Notes
- Added a new category of space encounter, the Derelict Freighter. These can be landed on and explored.
– Derelict freighters are procedurally generated, with an infinite array of potential layouts.
– Derelict freighters contain large volumes of valuable salvage, as well as special new rewards.
– Each star system has one derelict freighter style, allowing Travellers to share the portal address of systems with particularly interesting wrecks.
- Derelict freighters are home to several new hostile entities, including security turrets, aggressive drones, and a new variety of biological horror.
- Derelict freighters contain procedurally generated stories, with data logs to be found and the crew’s fate to be unravelled.
- New lore and story content can be found when retrieving the captain’s log.
- Derelict freighters are occasionally detected by the starships’ subspace radar while using Pulse Drive. However, they can be specifically sought out by purchasing an Emergency Broadcast Receiver from the Space Station’s new Scrap Dealer.
- Emergency Broadcast Receivers are expensive and may escalate in accordance with demand. Prices reset each day.
- Each week, Iteration Helios offers a free Emergency Broadcast Receiver.
- Derelict freighters offer many lucrative rewards: (1) Valuable items and a large number of nanites. (2) The opportunity to sell the data logs for nanites or standing. (3) The ability to use the derelict freighter’s engineering system to extract a piece of the freighter’s technology to fit into your own capital ship. (4) The ability to use the derelict freighter’s engineering system to generate new inventory slots for your capital ship. Take new expandable bulkheads to the Upgrade Station on your freighter bridge to apply them.