PS4 Firmware Update 4.50 Full List of Changes Revealed
A really substantial update.
PS4s newest system update, 4.50, is almost here- we already know of some of the changes that it will introduce, and we also know that Sony is conducting beta testing to ensure a smooth rollout on a large scale (unlike what happened with firmware update 2.00).
However, it seems like this will be a really meaty update all around, and that there will be more to it than just the big features (such as the addition of being able to use external HDDs) that we know of. Among other things, the firmware also adds the ability to post GIFs, and it adds better account management options.
You can check out the full changelog below. Presumably, this firmware update will be rolled out to the general public by March.
Main features in version 4.50 beta update
- You can now use a USB storage device to install applications or move applications from your PS4’s system storage. The following USB storage devices can be used. Select (Settings) > [Devices] > [USB Storage Devices], select the connected USB storage device and then format it for use as extended storage.
- External hard disk drive
- USB 3.0 or later
- 250 GB minimum, 8 TB maximum capacity
- The quick menu is now more user-friendly. Creating, joining and other party features are even easier to access.
- (Notifications) has been redesigned. All notifications now appear in a single list.
- You can now use screenshots to customise the background of your home screen and function screen. Select (Settings) > [Themes] > [Select Theme] > [Custom].
- You can now post screenshots directly to activities, such as those shown in [What’s New]. Press the SHARE button, select [Screenshots] and then select [Activities] as the upload destination. Also, you can now tag games and fellow players.
- You can now post animated GIFs to activities and social applications.
- You can now make a party public or private, even after the party has been created. Select (Party) > [Party Settings] > [Party Privacy].
- PlayStation VR now supports Blu-ray 3D™ content.
Other features in version 4.50 beta
- As a parent or guardian, you can now easily create sub accounts for your children when creating your master account.
- You can now upload or download saved data directly from the home screen. Press the OPTIONS button and then select [Upload/Download Saved Data].
- You now have the option to share screenshots on PlayStation Network. When sharing, you can also adjust privacy settings.
- You can now change the colour of your profile screen to match the cover image. On your profile screen, select (Options) > [Change Cover Image] > [Change Background Colour].
- When reporting inappropriate content, you can now preview your report before sending.
- Cinematic mode image quality on PlayStation VR has been improved.