Apparently, the very first round of documents that first leaked the existence of the upcoming PlayStation 4 NEO a few months ago have now leaked, and they confirm a lot of what we have been told about the console for a while now- an upgraded version of the PS4 is in the works.
The documents also confirm the specs for the console, confirming that it is going to be a highly incremental upgrade over the base PlayStation 4 system, and that it is going to be outclassed, in sheer hardware terms, by the Xbox One Scorpio. Some highlights:
- The GPU is 2.3x as powerful as PS4
- The CPU is 1.3x faster then PS4
- Its memory bandwidth 1.24x as much as PS4
- Starting October, all developers need to add in support for the PS4 NEO in addition to the base SKU, but developers have a choice on whether or not they want to go back and add in a NEO mode patch for older PS4 titles
- It has the same on board HDD as the PS4
- It upscales resolutions to 4K via checkerboard rendering. Apparently, new rendering techniques are in the works to improve sub UHD resolutions to UHD, while having the upscaled picture look better
The full document is highly interesting, and you can check it out here. It emphasizes that the upgraded PS4 will only be a part of the larger PS4 ecosystem, and that it will maintain full cross compatibility with the existing PS4 too.
The PS4 NEO has been officially confirmed- no other details about it, however, have been officially confirmed yet.
Share Your Thoughts Below (Always follow our comments policy!)