At long last, cross platform parties will be coming to Rocket League. Psyonix’s physics driven car soccer game has long been a champion of cross platform play, but functionality has been understandably limited. You can matchmake with random people on other systems, and… yeah, that’s about it.
That changes this Summer, because Psyonix has confirmed that cross platform parties will be a thing in Rocket League at last (meaning the game once again leads the way in pioneering cross platform features). This will require you to register with a Psyonix specific username you use for Rocket League, and use your friend’s to look for them, but still- at least it is happening!
There are more updates still for the game, that you can see for yourself in the roadmap they published for yourself below. Rocket League is available on Xbox One, PS4, Nintendo Switch, and PC; the PC, Xbox One, and Switch versions have cross platform play with one another. PS4 players can only play with PC.
SUMMER FEATURE UPDATE (JULY-AUGUST)
We also have another huge Feature Update planned for late Summer. Some of the highlights include:
Cross-Platform Friends & Parties
- Register an in-game ID that is a combination of a name with a unique code, like Scarab#7777
- Add friends from other platforms by entering their ID into the new, in-game friends list
- Party up with your new cross-platform friends and play online!
- Leveling Updates
- We’re removing the level cap of 75 and re-balancing the entire level-up curve. Levels will take a fixed amount of XP to earn instead of becoming exponentially longer as you level up.
- You’ll be converted to a new level appropriate for how much you’ve played Rocket League in your career.
- Leveling up grants you an Uncommon, Rare, Very Rare, or Import item (instead of these drops being randomly-timed as they are currently)
- You can earn new Titles and Banners at level 100 and beyond to show off your status
- XP Updates
- As part of the leveling updates, XP is going to become Online-only
- XP will now be based on Time Played in matches in addition to your Score.
- New XP Mechanics!
- Match Completion Bonus (for finishing games)
- Consecutive Games Bonus (for staying in Casual lobbies)
- Party Bonus (for playing with friends)
- Leaver Penalty (to punish quitters in all modes)
- Double XP Weekends
- And more!
Our “Rocket Pass” system consists of multiple Tiers of earnable content. You increase your Tier by leveling up normally and you’ll unlock new, unique content as you go. Each “Rocket Pass” will last for a few months before it’s retired and a new Pass will take its place with new content to unlock.
The “Rocket Pass” has both Free and Premium tracks so everybody has something to work for. The Free track contains new cosmetic items as well as Decryptors and exclusive in-game Titles, while the Premium track will have a flat cost to unlock. You will be able to preview Premium track content before you buy the unlock to access it.