Since it released way back in 2004, Steam has grown to become what is essentially the de facto standard platform for PC gaming. While there’s been plenty of criticism levied out to Valve for how they’ve done certain things, it’s hard to deny that they haven’t put a massive amount of work into quality of life features on the launcher. For instance, they are unrivaled in controller support, and their latest beta involves it farther.
In the latest client beta, Steam has extended its Xbox controller support. You can now support more than 4 controllers, as well as bind your Xbox Elite controller’s paddles and your Xbox Series X/S’s share button in controller configurations. There is now support for rumble in games using API. While the bulk of the focus is on the extended Xbox controller support, there’s also a minor update for the PS5 controller that allows you to disable its LED and some non-controller tweaks.
The client beta is live now on Steam for you to try out. You can read the full notes for it below or through the official Steam page through here.
- Added a setting for extended Xbox controller support. The option can be enabled in the General Controller Setting section of your Steam settings and requires a driver installation and restarting your computer.
Extended Xbox features include:
- Support for more than 4 Xbox controllers
- The ability to bind the Xbox Elite controller paddles in controller configurations
- The ability to bind the Xbox Series X controller share button in controller configurations
- Support for trigger rumble in games using Windows.Gaming.Input API
- Added a drop down in the personalization menu for the PS5 controller player slot LED allowing the player to disable it, enable it only when multiple controllers are connected, or to enable it at all times. This setting defaults to enable the LED only when multiple controller are connected.
- Added support for the Wooting Two keyboard
- Non-gamepad input devices like the HOTAS and G15 are now available to games when Generic Gamepad Configuration Support is enabled in the Controller Settings.