When Street Fighter 5 launched in February, it was a shell of a game, with a very competent fighting game engine, but very few characters, very little modes, and problems with the few modes that were included. There was outrage, there was pushback, but Capcom had a road map for future content planned, via which the game would be iterated upon.
So far, they have done a good job of sticking to their word, and bringing more new content to the game for free. And with this new update for the title, Capcom will be delivering the most significant expansion of the game yet, adding the promised cinematic Story mode, four new characters, advanced tutorials, new costumes, new stages, and more.
The full list of what Capcom plans to add follow:
New modes (available for free):
- Epic new single-player story expansion “A Shadow Falls,” a first for Street Fighter
- Launched single-player Challenge Mode:
- Demonstrations – beginner, intermediate, and advanced tutorials for all characters
- Trials – combo trials for all characters
New characters and costumes (available for purchase):
- Four new DLC characters including Alex, Guile, Ibuki, and Balrog… each with their own unique Character Story. Juri and Urien are coming soon, but they will be playable early in the Story Mode.
- New Story and Battle costumes for all released characters; Summer costume for Karin
New stages (available for purchase):
- 3 new stages (Air Force Base, Las Vegas, Kanzuki Family Private Beach) and 3 alternate stages
More free updates (available for free):
- Update to the in-game shop w/real world money options
- On-going improvements to matchmaking and online performance
- “Rage quitting” system implementation
- Increased lobbies in Battle Lounge for up to 8 players, with match spectating
- Rematch option for online battles
So yeah, this update seems to almost be like the proper launch for the game, adding features that really should have been in the game right at launch. But hey, better late than never, and I am sure that this update will make a lot of people who had given up on the game by now take a second look at it.
Street Fighter 5 is available now on PC and PS4.
Share Your Thoughts Below (Always follow our comments policy!)