Super Smash Bros. Ultimate Version 4.0.0 Is Here; Patch Notes Detail Balancing Changes, New Difficulty, and More
The latest update brings a host of changes to the fighter.
Dragon Quest has finally joined the fray in the biggest video game crossover series, with Challenger Pack 2 having been released for Super Smash Bros. Ultimate. It brings four new characters (technically), a new stage, new music tracks, and more- of course, with the DLC also comes a new version update for the game, and Nintendo have now released the full, detailed patch notes for Version 4.0.0.
Beyond adding support for Challenger Pack 2, the new update makes several other notable changes to the game as well- for starters, Final Smash meters now come with time limits, and you can no longer hold on to them indefinitely, since the meter now depletes in 20 seconds, forcing players to strike within that window. Another major change is the addition of a Very Easy difficulty mode to the campaign, World of Light.
An Online Tourney mode has also been added. A new Support function while spectating matches online allows to predict who the winner will be. If that person wins, you net points, which you can use to purchase in-game items and gold. Changes have also been made to the edit videos function (such as being able to insert snapshots in videos), as well as Stage Builder.
Finally, a ton of balance adjustments have also been made to the game’s massive roster of fighters. It’s a comprehensive list, and you can check it out in its entirety through here. The aforementioned patch notes, meanwhile, can be found below.
- Very Easy difficulty has been added to Adventure mode.
- Snapshots can be added to the timeline in Edit Video. Only snapshots taken via the pause menu can be used; screenshots taken using the Capture Button cannot be used. In addition, snapshots taken from custom stages cannot be used.
- Steel, grass, sponge, paper, and yarn terrains have been adjusted in Stage Builder. After this update, stages created in versions 3.1.0 and older may behave differently. In addition, the way thumbnails are displayed has been adjusted.
- The following spirits will appear in the Shop on the Vault menu:
- Great Sabrecub
- Liquid Metal Slime
- Hero’s Comrades
- Online Tourney mode has been added. While a tourney is open, please check rules and more within Online Tourney.
- A Support function to predict the winner of a Spectate battle and earn points has been added. The points can be exchanged for in-game items and gold.
- Videos can now be played repeatedly in Shared Content. In addition, a Yeah! will be added automatically whenever you save posted content.
- The following downloadable content will be usable after purchase:
- Hero Challenger Pack
- Erdrick’s Helmet + Armour
- Martial Artist Wig + Gi
- Veronica’s Hat + Outfit
- Slime Hat
- You cannot make videos of replays that contain DLC you have not purchased (fighters, stages, music, Mii Fighter costumes, etc.).
- Once the FS Meter is fully charged, the Final Smash must be used within 20 seconds or the FS Meter will reset. Note: This change will not affect Spirits mode.
- Game balance adjustments have been made.
- Several issues have been fixed to improve gameplay experience.