The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild Sweeps D.I.C.E. 2018 Awards, Including Game of the Year
It won a total of four awards.
Nintendo’s The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild continues its rampage during the awards season with another major award under its belt- yesterday, Breath of the Wild won the prestigious D.I.C.E. award for Game of the Year.
It wasn’t the only award the title won, either- indeed, Breath of the Wild swept the awards that evening, with four total awards, including Best Game Design, Best Game Direction, and Best Adventure Game. Other popular games that did well for themselves over the evening were Horizon: Zero Dawn (which won Best Story and Outstanding Technical Achievement), NieR Automata (which won RPG of the Year), and Mario+Rabbids: Kingdom Battle (which won Strategy Game of the Year). Sadly, Persona 5 won nothing. Oh well, it took my heart, and that’s what matters.
The D.I.C.E. awards are the ones that are voted on by a panel of industry developers, so they are particularly prestigious- Breath of the Wild‘s victory here is just another indication that this landmark game will be remembered as one of the greatest titles of all time for a long time to come.
You can check out the full list of winners below, courtesy of DualShockers.
- Outstanding Achievement in Animation – Cuphead
- Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction – Cuphead
- Outstanding Achievement in Character – Hellblade: Senua’s Sacrifice – Senua
- Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition – Cuphead
- Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design – Super Mario Odyssey
- Outstanding Achievement in Story – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Outstanding Technical Achievement – Horizon Zero Dawn
- Action Game of the Year – Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
- Adventure Game of the Year – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
- Family Game of the Year – Snipperclips
- Fighting Game of the Year – Injustice 2
- Racing Game of the Year – Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
- Role-Playing Game of the Year – NieR: Automata
- Sports Game of the Year – FIFA 18
- Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year – Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
- Immersive Reality Technical Achievement – Lone Echo/Echo Arena
- Immersive Reality Game of the Year – Lone Echo/Echo Arena
- D.I.C.E. Sprite Award – Snipperclips
- Handheld Game of the Year – Metroid: Samus Returns
- Mobile Game of the Year – Fire Emblem Heroes
- Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay – Playerunknown’s Battlegrounds
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Design – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
- Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction – The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
- Game of the Year- The Legend of Zelda: Breath of The Wild
- Lifetime Achievement Award: Genyo Takeda