The Surge Receives Free Demo Next Week, New Update Detailed
Critical bugs like dying to security doors now fixed.
Deck 13’s sci-fi Soulslike The Surge will be receiving a free demo next week for PS4, PC and Xbox One. The studio announced as much on Twitter. Though the exact content of the demo wasn’t confirmed.
However, it’s a good way to test the game out for yourself to see if it’s for you. The Surge received above average reviews near launch for its overall theme, new ideas and interesting tone. Of course, the combat wasn’t as lauded as From Software’s Dark Souls or Bloodborne.
Along with news of a free demo, Deck 13 has detailed its newest patch for The Surge. This includes new customization options like an FOV slider and fixing numerous bugs, like players dying when opening a security door. Check out the full patch notes below.
What are your thoughts on the game at this point? Let us know in the comments and stay tuned for more information on the upcoming demo.
- Allow early evading by default. This will enable the player to cancel attack animation in pre-hit phase and long combo chains by using evade, should they have enough stamina.
- No longer end the hit/staggered state on a hit that doesn’t interrupt the character.
- Fixed a crash related to pathfinding in some enemies.
- The MG Judge v2.0 is no longer able to hit through walls.
- Equipping the ATLAS Power Core will now work properly in NG+. In rare cases, the player could not level up any longer because the Power Core could not be equipped properly.
- Defence values will now scale properly through NG+ and beyond for undirected attacks.
- Reward pop-ups will no longer be carried over from previous games when starting/loading a new game.
- Fixed an issue that could lead to the player’s death in rare cases when opening security doors.
- Fixed a crash that could happen when attacking PAX in the security captain boss fight while its AI is inactive.
- Capped the core power requirement for unlocking new implant slots at level 125.
- Properly updated the UI FX state when switching between injectables that do (not) require energy to use
- “Drone Skill Ready” will now properly display at the correct times.
- No longer display an error message when using the kill switch.
- Fixed an issue that would cause the destruction of upgraded weapons when removing duplicates from the inventory.
- Raised the volume of the PAX sounds when stunned.
- Security Heavy NPCs will no longer try to attack you if there’s a fence between you. They will now go around the fence.
- Sound now plays properly when hitting the base of the Assembly boss.
- Board room door in management will now properly open.
- Fixed a missing pipe in Materials Processing.
- Fixed a poison puddle in Core Processing.
- Stuck in fight vs Rogue Process (collision is now bigger and should always push the player out towards the arena)
- Doors will now open and close correctly. Door to PAX spawn (doors will now animate to a specific rotation value and no longer by a value, so they should always be either opened or closed correctly).
- The PAX will no longer shoot rockets after falling over.
- The Security Captain will now no longer call the PAX when backstabbed.
- SQ06 Davey’s dialog will now always be available.
- The flamethrower drone will longer turns against the player.
- Further fixes to the Security Agile NPC.
- Elemental damage is now correctly applied to all attacks
- Enemies killed with the drone Emergency Coolant Vent skill will now give proper XP.
- Giving Jo tech scrap will no longer update the player’s tech scrap counter.
- Skipping the end video will no longer cause it to play over the opening train ride in NG+.
- Disabled pausing during the ending dialog sequence
- Disabled the kill switch during ending and loading screens.
- If the player dies in the arena after killing the big sister, the tech scrap was located in the air. Tech scrap will now be placed on the lower floor where the player needs to go to continue to R&D
PS4 Specific Fixes:
- Activate HDR display output by default (if an HDR display is connected).
PC Specific Fixes:
- Fixed NVIDIA Ansel issues with multi-res and 360-degree screen capture.
- Added a hint for how to delete savegames when using mouse and keyboard control schemes.
- The game should no longer crash upon exit.
- The game should now behave correctly when alt-tabbing.
- Fixed a crash on startup when no mouse is connected.
- Properly disable the medbay music when entering a new level while the medbay music is configured to never play.