At CES Microsoft announced record-breaking consumer response for Xbox 360 and Kinect; more unique entertainment experiences on Xbox 360; availability of Kinect for Windows commercial program.
Microsoft have released an official press release outlining their plans for CES and looking back at a great 2011 for them.
2011: Biggest year in Xbox history
Microsoft announced that Xbox 360 was the top selling console in North America in 2011.
· Xbox 360 has sold more than 66 million consoles, with nearly 40 million Xbox LIVE members around the world.
· Kinect has sold more than 18 million sensors around the world.
· Xbox 360 with Kinect was the must-have gift this Christmas, selling almost 800,000 Xbox 360 consoles on Black Friday alone.
Transforming TV through the power of Kinect
Microsoft showcased how Kinect and leading TV and entertainment providers deliver extraordinary experiences on Xbox 360 globally.
· More TV is coming to Xbox LIVE; in December, Channel 4OD and 5 On Demand launched on Xbox, with more to come. With more than 50 active and announced partnerships worldwide, more live TV and on-demand TV will be lighting up Xbox 360 consoles around the globe this year.
· Xbox 360 owners are excited about this new, fun, and interactive way to enjoy their favourite content:
The hours of video consumed globally on Xbox LIVE increased 140 percent from 2010 to 2011.
o In December more than 60 percent of U.S. Xbox LIVE Gold members used entertainment apps on Xbox LIVE – for an average of an hour a day each.
o The number of people using entertainment apps on Xbox LIVE increased by nearly 50 percent globally from November to December.
· We are going to make TV more social and personal; from watching to engaging, from passive to active.
In close collaboration with trusted brands such as Sesame Workshop and National Geographic, Kinect for Xbox 360 is delivering a new kind of interactive learning experience that places children inside their favorite television shows and storybooks and allows them to engage, interact and learn in entirely new ways.
Not just fun and games; the ‘Kinect Effect’ inspires new industries worldwide
Just like Kinect for Xbox 360 is helping to reinvent games and entertainment, companies around the globe are exploring how Kinect for Windows will help them to re-invent their industries.
· Microsoft announced the Kinect for Windows commercial program launching 1st Feb 2012. Through the commercial program, Kinect will reach far beyond entertainment to revolutionise education, healthcare, manufacturing, science, and more.
· Microsoft is already working with more than 200 innovation leaders including United Health Group, American Express, Mattel, Telefonica, and Toyota to utilise Kinect in revolutionary new ways.