Xbox 360 Dashboard goes live today
Sent to around 3 million users.
It’s time for another dashboard for the Xbox 360 with new functionality, and you know what? You can download it right now. The dashboard was in testing for quite a while, and most testers (including me), found it pretty sweet. I’ll have a detailed report up soon.
But meanwhile, here are the features of the new dashboard. You get a browser, new apps, enhanced search and voice search for international audiences. It’s meaty.
But you can’t download it immediately though, you have to wait for the update to hit you. Microsoft is planning to send the new dashboard to 3 million users each day, so it may take a while considering the size of the Xbox Live userbase.
Major Nelson has detailed these new features which you can check out below. It contains every feature along with a small description as to how it works.
- Refreshed Xbox 360 Dashboard. We’ve updated the UI with a few things, including an updated layout with more tiles, a combined TV & Movies channel and, in the US, a Sports destination.
- Internet Explorer for Xbox. With Internet Explorer on Xbox, you can easily find and view internet content on the biggest screen in the house, including HTML5 videos.
- Recommendations and Ratings. Recommendations will allow you to discover new favorites, generated based on a number of variables including the content you previously viewed, what your friends are consuming and what is most relevant and popular with our Xbox community. You can now rate content yourself and also see Rotten Tomatoes ratings.
- Pinning. Pinning lets you personalize the dashboard by saving your favorite movies, TV shows, games, music, videos and websites right to the home screen. It’s as easy as opening an app or a favorite movie and clicking “pin.”
- Xbox Video. Formerly called Zune Video Marketplace, Xbox Video offers hundreds of thousands of TV shows and movies for buying or renting in instant HD streaming.
- Recent. Previously called Quick Play, the Recent view gives you a list of movies, games, apps or other types of content that you most recently accessed on the console.
- Enhanced Search. The last Xbox LIVE update brought Bing voice search to Xbox so you could use voice to search for movies, TV shows, actors, directors and artists. This year we added genre search to the list, so now you can search for action, comedy, romance, drama or sci-fi. Bing voice search now includes results for video across the Web, including YouTube.
- International Expansion of Voice Search. We’ve expanded our Kinect voice search capabilities to 9 new countries – Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Mexico, Italy, Spain, Austria, and Ireland.