NPD June Results: Industry Collapses by 30%, Xbox 360 sells 257k
We have the June NPD results for you and Lego Batman 2 has topped the charts. The industry has declined by 30% compared to the same month of last year, and we have the full software and hardware sales for you.
Xbox 360 has topped the hardware chart with 257k units sold, followed by the PS3 at ~ 180k. The Wii sells an insignificant amount along with the Vita. It’s very hard to get numbers nowadays from NPD and usually extrapolation from PRs of respective hardware manufacturers results in a vague hint of how much the others sold.
“These sales figures represent new physical retail sales of hardware, software and accessories, which account for roughly 50-60 percent of the total consumer spend on games,” said NPD analyst Anita Frazier to GameInformer.
“Our final assessment of the consumer spend on these areas outside of new physical retail sales will be reported in September in our Q2 Games Market Dynamics: U.S. report.”
Xbox 360: 257K (-49.3%)
Nintendo 3DS: 155K (+8.4%)
Nintendo DS: 150K (-61.1%)
Wii: 95K (-65.2%)
Vita + PSP: ~100K [According to Nintendo’s PR statements.]
June 2012 Top 10 Games (New Physical Retail only; across all platforms incl. PC)
- Lego Batman 2: DC Super Heroes (360, Wii, PS3, NDS, 3DS, PSV, PC)
- Tom Clancy’s Ghost Recon: Future Soldier (360, PS3, PC)
- Diablo III (PC)**
- Max Payne 3 (360, PS3, PC)**
- NBA 2K12 (360, PS3, Wii, PSP, PS2, PC)
- Batman Arkham City (360, PS3, PC)**
- Pokemon Conquest (NDS)
- Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (360, PS3, Wii, PC)**
- Battlefield 3 (360, PS3, PC)**
- The Amazing Spider-Man (360, PS3, 3DS, NDS, Wii)