21m gamers in UK according to ISFE
A new survey by the Interactive Software Federation of Europe, named GameTrack, has revealed that 21m people have played a game of some description in the past 12 months, an impressive 37% of the total UK population.
This data, along with much more, was revealed today by Ian Bramley, senior director of Ipsos Media, a leading market research company commissioned by the ISFE.
These reports claim to be the most comprehensive view of the European video game market to date, covering every platform and genre.
Bramley also shed a whole host of other interesting statistics about gaming habits in Europe:
- 37% of UK residents, 21m people, played games in the past 12 months.
- 50% of French residents, 29m people.
- 40% of German residents, 31m people.
- 90% of 11-year olds in Europe play games of some form.
- Over 40% of 6-10 year-olds use apps.
- Just over 10% of 45 or older use apps.
- Nearly 25% of 11-14 year-olds in UK play games on social networks
- Only 5% of UK residents play apps, online and retail games.
- 68% of UK children play retail games. 65% play online, 43% use apps and 31% play all three.
- 25% of UK residents play games on PC or MAC.
- 25% of UK residents play games on consoles.
- Around 80% of gaming revenue is through retail games.
- 16% of UK market is in pre-owned games, 18% in France.
- Half of all games played in Q1 2012 were apps.
- Angry Birds most popular game in UK in Q1 2012 with 10% of the market
Source: MCV, GameTrack