EA and DICE are preparing to bring “the future of Battlefield” next year.
Last year, EA announced that Battlefield would be skipping 2020 and instead launch in the fiscal year 2021-22 (which ends March 31, 2022). Now, they seem to have narrowed down the window in which we can expect to see the release of Battlefield 6 (or whatever they end up choosing to call the next Battlefield game).
In a statement issued to VGC, an EA spokesperson said that the development team at DICE is continuing to work on supporting both Star Wars: Battlefront 2 and Battlefield 5, with the former receiving its final update imminently, and the latter in June. Following that, as per the spokesperson, DICE will shift its complete focus to “the future of Battlefield,” which will be out in 2021.
“Longer term, the studio is focused on the future of Battlefield that we’ll be bringing to players in 2021,” the spokesperson said.
Last year, EA commented that due the continued support and growth of the likes of Apex Legends and Battlefield 5 had been a factor in their decision to not release a sequel for the latter this year. Meanwhile, they also confirmed that they wanted to launch Battlefield 6 for the PS5 and Xbox Series X after their install base had grown- read more on that through here.