Famitsu has released its latest weekly charts for software and hardware sales in Japan, and it shouldn’t surprise anyone to see which games has dominated proceedings. Elden Ring was by far the biggest launch of the week (if not the year), and just as it did in the UK, it has debuted on top of the Japanese software charts.
It occupies the top two positions, in fact, with the PS4 and PS5 versions taking the first and second spots. Collectively, both versions have sold over 278,000 units over the three-day period that they were on sale during the week, which makes it FromSoftware’s biggest launch in Japan to date, outselling Bloodborne, Dark Souls 3, and Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice.
That wasn’t the only new release to chart in the top 10 for last week. Koei Tecmo’s Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream also occupies two positions in the charts, with the PS4 version taking fourth place and the Switch version coming in at No. 5. Collectively, both versions have sold over 40,000 units.
On the hardware front, the PS5 has received a bit of a bump, likely thanks to the launch of Elden Ring, with over 17,000 units sold. The Switch, predictably enough, still beats it by a healthy margin, having moved over 70,000 units during the course of the week.
You can check out the full software and hardware sales charts for the week ending February 27 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [PS4] Elden Ring – 188,490 (New)
- [PS5] Elden Ring – 90,017 (New)
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 60,754 (2,069,549)
- [PS4] Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream – 22,104 (New)
- [NSW] Atelier Sophie 2: The Alchemist of the Mysterious Dream – 18,912 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 13,055 (4,456,087)
- [PS4] Horizon Forbidden West – 11,468 (59,944)
- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 9,851 (886,009)
- [NSW] Touken Ranbu Warriors – 9,731 (122,890)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 9,669 (4,783,316)
- Nintendo Switch – 70,232
- PS5 – 17,032
- Xbox Series X/S – 4,825