SeithCG’s Ghost of A Tale has had a long development process, spending quite some time in Steam Early Access before finally releasing on March 13th. That being said, the stealth action RPG wasn’t perfect – it had its fair share of bugs and the developer knew it. It recently released an update to help fix the “vast majority of the remaining bugs” while also explaining why they were there to begin with.
“In case some of you are wondering why those bugs were there to start with, the answer is simple (besides the fact that Ghost of a Tale is quite complex under the hood): a dozen persons testing the game on and off over a period of 2 months is simply no match for having thousands of people all starting to play at the same time. That being said, it’s my fault of course,” the developer said.
“When I realized what was happening it was obviously too late to say, ‘Whoops, sorry I’ll put it back in the fridge for moment.’ The fact that most sounds didn’t play in the second half of the game furthermore gave the impression that it wasn’t finished. And that sucked.” This is despite the Early Access period going fairly smoothly according to the studio.
Things are more or less fixed now and SeithCG considers this an “apology” to players who didn’t think it lived up to their expectations. “Today…the game is what it should have been right from the start. So let this serve as an apology to the players who felt the game was not up to their technical standards when it launched, and an invitation to those who’ve been waiting to come and visit the world of Ghost of a Tale.”
Some of the major fixes (without spoilers, which you can learn more about here) include no ambient sounds playing in the catacombs, harbour, great hall and shore. Abrupt transition between ambient noise, elevators in certain areas not playing sounds, spiders not playing sounds, no sound when climbing ladders and other sound related issues have all been fixed. Check out the non-spoiler fixes below.
- No ambient sounds playing in the catacombs, harbor, great hall and shore.
- Abrupt transitions between ambient sounds.
- Elevators (courtyard, baskets, bells, etc…) don’t play their sounds.
- Ravik’s arrival sequence (on the bridge) doesn’t play any sounds.
- Sounds during dialogs are sometimes too loud.
- Spiders don’t play their sounds.
- No sounds when climbing ladders.
- Several reverb zones are not kicking in.
- Gallworms don’t play their sounds.
- Pressure plates don’t play their sound.
- Pinecones don’t play their sounds (collapsing worm holes, etc…).
- All ambient sounds are turned off after quitting and relaunching the game.
- The rebel mice remain visible although the skiff has left the harbor.
- An invisible wall keeps Tilo from crossing the already-opened metal gate in the harbor near the crab’s pen (coming from the elevator).
- The commander is sometimes not visible in his office.
- It is possible to sleep in the commander’s bed.
- Rolo at the forge is not hammering and talks about weird unrelated stuff.
- The camera is too close to Tilo after reloading a save.
- Cases where reloading an autosave results in the camera remaining locked on the spot.
- Cases of invisible Ravik on the bridge.
- The Gusto & Fatale’s achievement is not triggered.
- The Lore Master achievement is not getting unlocked.
- The wrong map is shown after getting to the shore via the cave.
- Some map markers for items on the maps are wrong.
- The well key can sometimes get stuck in an unreachable place.
- The HUD is not properly restored after leaving photo mode.
- The guards in the harbor can chase Tilo beyond the harbor (and disappear).
- Some French characters are not properly displayed in the books UI.
- The grid ladder in the jail tower can sometimes get stuck (after reloading multiple times).
- Problems when reloading a save while the end sequence is still playing.
- Some trees on the shore are missing their colliders.
- Rare cases where Silas is awake instead of sleeping.
- Some missing colliders in the catacombs walls.
- Tilo can sprint and sneak while wearing the armor when launching the game and loading a save with the armor upgrade skill.
- Ambient music abruptly kicks in instead of fading in.
- Guards’ knocked out timer UI remains on screen after leaving the area of the guards.
- Shutters don’t play their sounds when Tilo opens them.