The weekly charts for video game software and hardware sales in Japan for the week ending July 19 are in, and the two biggest new releases of the week, Ghost of Tsushima and Paper Mario: The Origami King (both of which released on the same day, in fact) have topped the software charts with impressive sales, which they also did on their debut in the UK charts.
Sony recently said that Ghost of Tsushima was selling better than expected in Japan, even leading to stock shortages, and that’s reflected in its sales numbers, with the open world samurai epic selling over 212,000 units in three days. This, in fact, means that it’s enjoyed a better launch in Japan than The Last of Us Part 2 did last month, which in turn puts it ahead of other major first party PS4 exclusives like Marvel’s Spider-Man, God of War, Horizon Zero Dawn, Days Gone, Bloodborne and Uncharted 4: Among Thieves.
Meanwhile, Paper Mario: The Origami King also sees impressive sales, selling over 109,000 copies. That puts it ahead of the Japanese launch sales of its predecessor, Paper Mario: Color Splash, though it’s still trailing all other Paper Mario games- though not by a particularly huge margin.
On the hardware front, the Switch enjoyed a particularly good week, moving over 113,000 units across the week, up from last week’s already-impressive sales of over 96,000.
You can check out the full software and hardware charts below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales)
01. [PS4] Ghost of Tsushima – 212.915 / NEW
02. [NSW] Paper Mario: The Origami King – 109.092 / NEW
03./[NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 71.897 / 5.186.283
04. [NSW] Ring Fit Adventure – 36.183 / 1.173.243
05. [NSW] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 – 29.719 / 124.595
06. [PS4] eBaseball Powerful Pro Baseball 2020 – 26.951 / 118.498
07. [NSW] Clubhouse Games: 51 Worldwide Classics – 20.586 / 235.891
08. [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 10.031 / 3.035.989
09. [NSW] Together! The Battle Cats – 9.725 / NEW
10. [NSW] Pokemon Sword / Shield – 7.843 / 3.662.804
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales)
Nintendo Switch- 113,197 (96,879)
PS4- 4,523 (3,425)
Xbox One- 31 (35)
3DS- 903 (801)