Though it’s roughly a month from release, unconfirmed details for Santa Monica Studio’s God of War Ragnarok are coming out. Insider-Gaming’s Tom Henderson reported that the main story would take 20 hours to complete, while the total playtime with side quests amounted to 40 hours. In a new report, he’s revealed the different factions that could appear in the game.
Potential spoilers follow, so beware.
Sources have told Henderson that there are 11 factions in-game. They also provided descriptions of each – check them out below:
- Aesir – Described as the Gods that rule the Nine Realms.
- Beasts – Described as animals that roam in the realms as either predator or prey.
- Dwarves – Described as the masters of forging legendary weapons and armor.
- Elves – Described as two factions of Light and Dark that fight to control the Light of Alfheim.
- Ethereal – Described as ghosts and spirits that wander between the Nine Realms.
- Humans – Described as scavengers.
- Jotnar – Described as the last giants that hide to pass down their knowledge following the genocide at the hands of Odin.
- Monsters – Described as the creatures of the Norse Myth.
- Helwalkers – Described as reanimated corpses from the overflowing souls of Helheim that are cursed to walk the Nine Realms.
- Seidr – Described as humans that are corrupted by seior magic.
- Vanir – Described as the Gods that fought against Aesir and lost.
Some of these look familiar, like the Humans, Jotnar, Helwalkers, and the Seidr. Others like the Jotnar played a key story role in the first game, and do so here as well (as seen with Angrboda). However, others like Surtr could potentially appear. Time will ultimately tell, but for the most part, it doesn’t seem like any factions new to the series are being introduced in the sequel. Then again, we did see Centaurs in a previous trailer (which are new to the Norse saga) and don’t know their faction as of yet.
God of War Ragnarok is out on November 9th for PS4 and PS5. The Entertainment Software Ratings Board recently rated the title and outlined some of its gorier aspects. Head here for more details.