Arc System Works’ Daisuke Ishiwatari says it’s a “high risk move” on the developer’s part.
Arc System Works took us somewhat by surprise when it announced a new Guilty Gear at the EVO 2019 grand finals. It still features the gorgeous aesthetic we’ve come to expect from the franchise but seemed to include more stage transitions. But that’s not all we can expect from the sequel.
Series general director and creator Daisuke Ishiwatari posted a message on Twitter for fans and explained that the next Guilty Gear will be “a complete reconstruction of the franchise.” The goal is to “create a game both new and existing players alike would want to get their hands on.” That seems about in line with Ishiwatari’s comments last year about reducing the number of systems inherent in the fighting game and expanding its user base.
“The core concept this time is unlike those of the past titles—it is neither ‘evolution’ nor ‘returning to roots’; nor is it an addition or subtraction of elements from existing titles. What we’re pursuing is a brand new experience for Guilty Gear. To achieve that goal, we’ve disassembled the current franchise into fragments and sifted out the pieces that make it unique and charismatic, using those pieces to have a complete reconstruction of the franchise,” said Ishiwatari.
He notes that it’s a “high risk move” on the development team’s part. “However, we have an accumulation of plentiful resources and experience, a clear vision of our ideals, and the excitement towards a future of a new possibility.”
The next Guilty Gear will release in 2020. It will be playable on PS4 at the upcoming ArcRevo World Tour Final 2019 on November 16th to 17th. What other platforms could it be coming to? Stay tuned for more details in the coming months.
A few words from Daisuke Ishiwatari on the new #GuiltyGear…
— Arc System Works @ #BBTank (@ArcSystemWorksU) August 9, 2019