Apple has just revealed at their press conference today that, iOS 5 will be launching on October 12th. The news was announced by Apple’s Senior VP of iOS Software Scott Forstall.
They also announced the iCloud service where all members get 5GB free, and there are paid plans as well. The prices are $20, $40, and $100 per year.
Here are the new features.
- Notifications: A replacement system for iOS’ otherwise antiquated alerts system
- iMessage: A free to use, iOS-to-iOS SMS replacement
- Reminders: user creatable time/location based reminders
- Twitter integration
- Newsstand: Apple’s in-house distribution system for iPad magazines
- New and improved camera (One click access from the lock screen, red eye removal, cropping, rotating, etc)
- Game Center (Recommendation engine, Achievements system)
- Improved Safari browser (Faster, lighter, tabbed browsing on iPad, and the “Reader” content scraper)
- Mail.app improvements
- PC-Free (Activation without iTunes)