Kirby and the Forgotten Land, as one of the biggest new game releases of last week, was always meant to sell well, but it looks like it’s sales are actually exceeding expectations. As per Famitsu’s latest weekly data for software and hardware sales in Japan, the 3D platformer was the best-selling game in Japan last week, selling over 380,000 within three days of launch.
That’s a stellar debut by any metric, but that number also makes this a massive launch by Kirby standards. Forgotten Land’s launch sales have outpaced of some of Kirby’s previous best launches, including Kirby Super Star Ultra for the DS (which sold over 260,000 units at launch), Kirby: Triple Deluxe for the 3DS (over 225,000 units), and Kirby Star Allies for the Switch (over 223,000 units). In fact, Kirby and the Forgotten Land is already on the verge of outselling the lifetime Japanese sales of Kirby’s Epic Yarn, Kirby Mass Attack, and Kirby: Planet Robobot.
Meanwhile, Ghostwire: Tokyo was another major new release last week, though it hasn’t fared nearly as well. It hasn’t fared well at all, in fact. Tango Gameworks’ open world action-adventure title debuted at No. 6 in the charts, barely managing to sell over 10,000 copies. Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin, which saw a similarly tepid debut last week, continues to underperform, with the PS4 version taking No. 8, having sold over 7,700 units.
On the hardware front, the Nintendo Switch has seen a slight dip, with over 83,000 units sold throughout the week. The PS5, on the other hand, has seen quite the bump in sales, having sold over 35,000 units, which is more than double what it sold the previous week.
You can check out the full software and hardware sales charts for the week ending March 27 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [NSW] Kirby and the Forgotten Land – 380,060 (New)
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 18,931 (4,518,473)
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 17,941 (2,195,400)
- [PS4] Elden Ring – 13,918 (307,546)
- [NSW] Minecraft – 13,305 (2,574,724)
- [PS5] Ghostwire: Tokyo – 10,144 (New)
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 8,982 (4,822,623)
- [PS4] Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin – 7,720 (36,664)
- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 7,710 (920,035)
- [NSW] The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild – 5,731 (1,987,301)
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales):
- Nintendo Switch – 83,800 (85,479)
- PS5 – 35,474 (16,968)
- Xbox Series X/S – 390 (3,554)