Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin was probably one of the bigger new releases last week, but it seems it’s not got off to a hot start in Japan where sales are concerned. As per weekly software and hardware sales data released by Famitsu, Stranger of Paradise Final Fantasy Origin did manage to snag two spots in the charts, with the PS4 version at No. 1 and the PS5 version at No. 4.
Collectively, however, both versions sold over 46,000 units roughly half of both what developer Team Ninja’s own Nioh (nearly 90,000) and Nioh 2 (nearly 92,000) managed at launch. Meanwhile, other Final Fantasy spinoffs in recent years have also performed better at launch, like Dissidia Final Fantasy NT selling over 110,000 battles in Japan at launch, or Final Fantasy: Crystal Chronicles Remastered Edition selling nearly 80,000 units.
Pokemon Legends: Arceus, which was on top last week, has been pushed down to second place, with over 23,000 units sold, while Elden Ring is still in there as well at No. 3. Meanwhile, Triangle Strategy is still hanging in there in the top 10 as well, taking the ninth spot with over 8,000 units sold.
On the hardware front, the Nintendo Switch is the highest selling console of the week, as it usually is, with over 85,000 units sold, which is a bit of a dip from what it managed last week. The PS5, meanwhile, holds steady with over 16,000 units sold.
You can check out the full software and hardware sales for the week ending March 20 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [PS4] Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin – 28,944 / NEW
- [NSW] Pokemon Legends: Arceus – 23,067 / 2,177,459
- [PS4] Elden Ring – 19,487 / 293,628
- [PS5] Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin – 17,905 / NEW
- [NSW] Mario Kart 8 Deluxe – 16,078 / 4,499,542
- [NSW] Minecraft – 9,755 / 2,561,419
- [PS4] Gran Turismo 7 – 9,447 / 94,818
- [NSW] Super Smash Bros. Ultimate – 9,111 / 4,813,641
- [NSW] Triangle Strategy – 8,429 / 112,107
- [NSW] Mario Party Superstars – 8,182 / 912,325
Hardware sales (followed by last week’s sales):
- Nintendo Switch – 85,479 (98,246)
- PS5 – 16,968 (16,286)
- Xbox Series X/S – 3,554 (1,962)
Share Your Thoughts Below (Always follow our comments policy!)