Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name launched worldwide last week, and the brawler has got off to a solid start in Japan where its physical sales are concerned. As per the latest weekly data revealed by Famitsu, it was the best-selling game of the week when its PS5 and PS4 sales are put together, even though Super Mario Bros. Wonder is still in the No. 1 spot with over 65,000 units sold.
Like a Dragon Gaiden, meanwhile, occupies the second and third spots, with its PS5 and PS4 versions selling over 63,000 and over 60,000 units respectively, for a total of over 123,000 physical units sold upon launch, which is an impressive number for a smaller spinoff release. For context, when Yakuza 7 launched in Japan in 2020, it sold over 157,000 units.
Meanwhile, another new release, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, also occupies two places in the top 10, with its PS5 version (over 22,000 units sold) coming in at No. 4, and its PS4 version (over 8,000 units sold) slotting in at No. 6, for a total of over 31,000 physical copies sold upon release. For comparison, last year’s Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 sold over 42,000 units in Japan upon release.
On the hardware front, thanks to the PS5 Slim’s launch, Sony’s console has enjoyed a significant sales boost, and with over 107,000 units sold, it’s the best-selling console in Japan for the week. It’s followed by the Nintendo Switch in second place, which sold over 79,000 units.
You can check out the full hardware and physical software sales charts for the week ending November 12 below.
Software sales (followed by lifetime sales):
- [NSW] Super Mario Bros. Wonder – 65,017 (975,276)
- [PS5] Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name – 63,319 (New)
- [PS4] Like a Dragon Gaiden: The Man Who Erased His Name – 60,134 (New)
- [PS5] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – 22,132 (New)
- [NSW] WarioWare: Move It! – 13,340 (42,924)
- [PS4] Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 – 8,962 (New)
- [NSW] Fashion Dreamer – 8,166 (39,050)
- [NSW] Pikmin 4 – 7,511 (948,207)
- [NSW] Animal Crossing: New Horizons – 7,186 (7,573,156)
- [NSW] The Game of Life for Nintendo Switch – 5,913 (77,301)
- PS5 – 107,953
- Nintendo Switch – 79,147
- Xbox Series X/S – 2,578