Mario Tennis Aces Update Will Nerf Bowser Jr., Punish Late Trick Shots
All characters will also receive a change to the range at which balls can be returned.
Nintendo’s Mario Tennis Aces has seen generally decent reviews since launch, though fans aren’t exactly happy over the amount of content in the Story mode, or the lack of traditional, six set tennis matches. However, one of the biggest complaints against the game has been its balancing, especially when it comes to Bowser Jr.
When it comes to performing Trick Shots (special moves that allow for hitting balls out of reach), Bowser Jr. has been pretty unstoppable. His wide range allows for returning shots and building up energy easily. This can then be used to pull off Signature Shots or slow down time with impunity.
Recognizing this, a patch due on July 19th will adjust how fast Bowser Jr. can move when charging up a shot. It will also “lower the angle at which he hits the ball back.” More changes to the character will be coming before the August tournament, where players can participate and earn enough points to unlock Blooper as a free character early.
The full patch notes can be gleaned below, as provided by Nintendo. All characters are receiving a chance to the range at which they can return a ball. The amount of energy used when a Trick Shot is late will also be adjusted.
Game Balance Updates
For All Characters:
- We have adjusted the range within which a character is able to return a ball, as well as how much energy is used when doing a Trick Shot to hit a ball that goes behind them.
– We made the distance you can move and the scope between left and right shorter. We also shortened the time it takes to successfully recover energy and increased how much energy is used when a Trick Shot is late.
- We have made it so that, when returning a serve, a ball cannot inflict a Body Shot until it bounces once.
For Bowser Jr.:
- We have adjusted how fast Bowser Jr. can move when charging a shot and lowered the angle at which he hits the ball back.
*We plan to adjust the balance of this character further in time for the August tournament
Revised errors with text display.
Notice about the Rating system in Online Tournament
- A ranking display based on Rating will be added to the ranking board starting with the August 2018 tournament. Along with this change, the Rating will not be shown on the Total Points Ranking board. If you want to check your Ratings for July, please check the Tournament chart.
- Your Rating will change on a monthly basis based on the results of the previous month’s play. (This will be reflected starting with the switch from July to August.)
– Ratings of 2,000 or less -> Start at 2,000
– Ratings from 2,000-2,500 -> Same rating will be maintained
– Rating of 2,500 or more -> 1/10 of the value will be added to 2,500
– Value will be reset to 2,000 if the player did not play the previous month or if any questionable data is present.