Following its refusal to comment on the same in its recent quarterly report, Sony has announced a price increase for the console in several different regions. On the PlayStation Blog, it noted “high global inflation rates” and “adverse currency trends” that have impacted customers and caused “pressure on many industries.”
“Based on these challenging economic conditions, SIE has made the difficult decision to increase the recommended retail price (RRP) of PlayStation 5 in select markets across Europe, Middle East, and Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC), Latin America (LATAM), as well as Canada.” Those in the United States won’t see a price increase.
All of the below-listed prices are effective immediately unless stated otherwise like with Japan. Check them out below:
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – €549.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – €449.99
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – £479.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – £389.99
Japan (effective Sept. 15, 2022)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥60,478 (including tax)
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥49,478 (including tax)
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – ¥4,299
- PS5 Digital Edition – ¥3,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – $799.95
- PS5 Digital Edition – $649.95
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – MXN 14,999
- PS5 Digital Edition – MXN 12,499
- PS5 with Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive – CAD 649.99
- PS5 Digital Edition – CAD 519.99
It’s worth noting that some markets in Africa (EMEA), Asia-Pacific (APAC) and Latin America (LATAM) that haven’t been listed could also see an increase in prices. You’ll need to check with your local retailer for more information on the same.
Though it noted the price increase to be necessary due to the “current global economic environment and its impact on SIE’s business,” the company is still working to improve supplies for the PS5. Its strategy is to provide a “significant” increase to supplies ahead of the Holiday season following reduced gameplay time in the quarter ending June 31st, 2022. As always, stay tuned for more details and updates on the same.